40~Pain is inevitable- LAST CHAPTER

Marie-Anne's POV

I turn for what seems like the hundredth time tonight. I guess sleep does not want to come to me tonight. I stare into the dark in my room, not blinking even once. I start sweating because of the heat, spring was here and in Florida the four seasons made no difference. I toss my cover on the other side of my bed and cuddle my warm pillow.

I try to distract my mind, but it always seems to be interested in staying on one particular subject; the afternoon I've been trying to forget the past two months. I wish vampires were real, maybe I could find one to compel my mind to forget the memories. 'Goodbye Dylan' the phrase I had said that afternoon replayed in my mind.

Who knew that these two words would make me lose my sleep every night, who know that two words could be so powerful? Tears fall down my cheeks just like it did every night, by now I have gotten so used to it that I think it is normal to cry yourself to sleep.

When much tears have fallen, my eyes grow weary and I let the darkness consume me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The smell of breakfast wakes me and I rub my sleepy eyes looking at the time. Seeing that it is already nine AM, I take my pajamas off and go to the bathroom. I take care of my business there and decide to wash my hair today. Washing my hair always makes me feel better, it's like a weight is lifted off my shoulder. I finish my shower and put on some comfy clothes on, and head to the kitchen to eat some breakfast.

"Good morning," I greet Esther as I take a seat across from her on the island after I made myself a plate.

"Good morning," she greets back her attention on her phone. "We have to finish packing today," she adds finally looking at me.

"Yes, um... I think we just have the kitchen to pack up," I tell her and she nods turning her attention back at her phone. I take a sip of my coffee, which I have grown to love these past months, without coffee I do not think I would survive. 

"Is there anything you would like to do before we leave? We only have the rest of the week to finish our finals," Esther asks putting her phone down once and for all.

"No, I think I'm good once I finish my last final on Friday," I tell her.

"You sure?" She asks. I have a feeling that this was a rhetorical question, so I do not answer her. She takes a bite of her bacon and looks into my eyes. My eyes always have bags under them because I barely sleep and she knows that. "I heard you last night," she says once she notices my silent treatment.

I gulp but do not say anything. I think she is hearing things. A part of me wanted to believe that, but I knew what she meant. She heard my cries, my pain, and my insomnia. She always did, the apartment is small and with most of our things packed, the echoes could be heard on the other side of the apartment. "We should start packing the kitchen, I have to study for one of my classes later," I tell her changing the subject.

She doesn't push me and simply nod her head, I get up and put my dish in the sink not bothering to finish my breakfast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stare at my test one last time reviewing my answers to the questions I don't remember learning when I am sure of my answers, I get up from my seat and place the test on the teacher's desk. I silently exit the room and head outside of the campus, I sigh when I feel the fresh air. I look around at the campus I would no longer see anymore.

This school has been my dream for as long as I can remember, I remember obsessing over it and researching it every chance I got. My school came here for a college tour my junior year of high school and I remember not sleeping the night before because of my excitement. After I saw the school, all of my doubts were gone, I knew for sure right then and there that this was the school I wanted to come to; now I would be leaving it without a blink of an eye.

I bump into someone because I was paying attention to where I was going. I am sure that I am going to fall, but strong hands grab me before falling, that scent, I know that smell from somewhere. The person removes their hand and I can feel myself balance on the ground again. I look up to thank the person and say sorry, these words don't seem to come out of my mouth when I see who it is.

Our eyes lock into each other and my pain comes back. The person I have tried to avoid for months is standing right in front of me.

"Um..." he says breaking the eye contact, "sorry it was my fault, I'm sorry," he says looking anywhere but at me.

"No, it was mine, I should have been looking where I was going and I'm so clumsy," I say apologizing. He chuckles at my words, and the familiarity of it cause a smile to form on my face.

"Un Homme est Toujours fautif," he says in French, but his American accent is so strong that it makes me laugh. "I missed your laugh," he says still not looking at me.

I simply smile without saying a word, I know this was going to hunt me tonight keeping me from my sleep. His hair instead of being beautifully down is messy just like any student here and I got to admit, he looks better this way.

"I see that you are not speaking, I guess today is your last day here, um... have fun at FSU, they'll be happy to have a hardworking student like you." He says.

"Thank you," I tell him and he looks at me because of my sudden speech. There are so many things I wish I could tell him right now, I wish I could tell him how I miss him, but I try to keep to myself.

"Goodbye Marie-Anne," he says my name sounding so good like it always did when he called me.

"Bye," I say but instead of leaving I reach and hug him like I've never done before. He's stiff muscles relaxes into my arms and he hugs me back. "Goodbye Dylan," I tell him letting go.

He leaves going in his direction, "Marie-Anne," he calls out turning around.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Promise me you'll try to be happy?" He asks.

"I promise," I tell him knowing it was a lie. I would never be happy, he's not in my life anymore, please do the same," I say and walking away not wanting to hear his reply.

It's always going to be 'You, And Only You," that can make me happy Dylan, I tell myself.

THE END

AN

Forty is a special number to me, that's why I ended it there.  Thanks to everyone who has read this story so far. Thank you for all the votes and comments.

I never wanted to end this, I'm afraid that I grew attached to the story, but all things have a beginning and an end.

There will be no epilogue. The SEQUEL is up though and it will take place eight years after, Please go to my profile to find it.

"Still, Only You"