26~This is NOT your world.

Dylan's POV

"And I also do some voodoo if you are wondering, I don't need a gun to murder you," he says leaving the porch and going back inside.

What the hell is voodoo and why does he have a gun?

~~~~

Marven leaves and I stand there dumbfounded at what just happened. The door opens again and I turn around hopping it's not him again.

"Hey," Marie-Anne says giving me a hug, "you okay? I didn't see you inside."

"Yeah, I'm fine just enjoying the fresh breeze," I lie.

"Mhmm, I saw that you were talking to my brother," she says looking into my plain light brown eyes.

"Yeah," I said, "you seem really happy to see your mom," I say changing the subject.

"Yeah, I missed her," she says with a smile. I sigh and stare into the blank space.

"Dyl, are you okay? You seem really distracted," she asks again.

"I'm fine, I'm just a little tired that's all," I lie again. First off, I don't know what's wrong with her brother, he's crazy. Talking about voodoo, which I don't even know what that is, and showing me a gun.

Marie-Anne leans closer to me and tippy toes to kiss me. I kiss her back and the door opens again. Who is it this time? I say sarcastically in my mind.

"Marie," her mom says in French, she turns around and looks at her mom awkwardly. "I didn't send you out here to kiss your boyfriend," she says closing the door.

"She sent you out here?" I ask.

"Yeah," she says looking at me, "she told me to tell you dinner's ready," she whispers in my ear seductively. I chuckle at her tone and she pulls me inside.

"Sorry ma," she says as she walk to the dining room holding my hands. Everyone was already sitting and waiting on us. Marie-Anne goes on sitting next to her sister and I sit next to her. I was sitting in between Marie-Anne and her brother, Marven.

"Who wants to say grace?" Her mom asks, "Dylan do you want to say grace?" She asks me and I gulp. Marie-Anne probably should have told them that I don't know how to pray.

"I'll do it," Marie-Anne says when she sees my discomfort.

"Okay," her mom says giving me the eye. Awkward, your girlfriend's mother who is super religious just found out you can not even say a fucking grace. Nice going, Dylan, nice going.

"Thank you Lord for providing us with this food on this fine day. God today is the last day of a beautiful year, thank you for protecting us all during this year. And thank you for my mom who was able to make this food, Amen."

"Amen," everyone else says in unison.

"Let's dig in," Mrs. Jean says starting to pass around the food.

Everyone finishes making their plate and they start eating. I take a bite of a meat, that Marie-Anne told me was griot, and immediately make a moaning sound. That thing is so good. Marie-Anne looks at me and chuckles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You want me to help with the dishes, ma?" Marie-Anne asks her mom once everyone was done eating.

"No, the dishes are Emanuel's and Eman's job to do," she says. And the two younger boys frown; but without saying a word they get up and start taking the dishes towards the sink.