02

Awkward.

That's how Farren felt as he stood outside the resource room waiting for Kaden Rivers to come out. He jiggled his knee back and forth as he waited for the other boy, a nervous trait he had picked up long before he could remember.

This feeling wasn't common for Farren. He wasn't an awkward guy, never was. However as he waited for Kaden he couldn't have been more awkward. What exactly does one say to their rival-turned-roommate anyway?

Roommate. Just the thought of the word made Farren uncomfortable. He always liked having his own space, and anyways, what were him and Rivers meant to talk about for the next six weeks. Farren groaned internally at the thought.

Six weeks.

Six awkward weeks of awkward small talk, awkward dinner time conversation and awkward awkwardness.

He groaned internally at the thought. If he believed in God, now would be the time for a prayer. How unfortunate that that ship sailed a long time ago.

As more of the Redwood team began to leave the room Farren was growing more on edge. Why couldn't he be paired with one of them? Someone nice, like Matt Shaver or someone else. Anyone else. Anyone but Kaden Rivers. As a rule, he didn't get on with Kaden. Not that he was exactly sure why, but that was just the way things were between them. They never fought off the field, but they were rivals. That's just the way things were.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck

The curse word was like a mantra in his head and surprisingly calming. Thinking about it, Farren realised he had never actually had a real conversation with Kaden.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Hopefully Kaden wasn't going to be as bad as he thought. Who knows, maybe Kaden Rivers was actually a nice guy.

He snorted. Yeah, there was no way that was true. Nice try brain, but not today. It didn't count as judging a book by its cover if you've already read the first couple of pages, right?

Just when he was deciding that maybe he would be better off to go home and give up on State Championships all together, he heard someone clear their throat behind him.

Even before he turned around he knew who it was. There was only one person that it could be. He closed his eyes shut and took a deep breath before turning around and coming face to face with his darling new roommate.

Neither of the boys said anything for a moment, not wanting to be the one to break the silence. Eventually Farren just decided to go ahead and introduce himself before things got any more awkward.

"Hey, Kaden is it?" He said nonchalantly, already knowing the answer. But it didn't feel right to greet him with a 'Hey Kaden' when they'd never even talked before.

God this was an exhausting situation. Only four words in and Farren was already ready to bail.

Kaden nodded. "Yeah. Hi." He said impatiently, which slightly irritated Farren. It's not exactly like he wanted to be here either, but at least he, unlike Kaden, was actually making an effort to be polite.

He fought the urge to roll his eyes, which was an immediate reflex to him.

"So.." he began, knowing they had to make arrangements and not wanting to spend any more time with Kaden then he had to. "Do you want me to pick you up or..? I'm in town for a while after school anyways."

He knew that Kaden didn't drive anymore. Something to do with road rage and a suspended license. Served him right.

"Yeah that's fine," shrugged Kaden. "I presume you know my house?"