30

Farren leaned his head against the lockers in the changing rooms. There was one quarter to go and they were in the lead, but by a narrow margin.

He had been playing to the best of his ability, however his mind wasn't fully in the game. Seeing Kaden on that pitch made it hard for him to focus on anything much other than what was going to happen between them after the match.

Coach rambled on and on about the game but Farren couldn't focus on anything he was saying, much as he tried. He had more important things to worry about.

His heart was pounding at the thought of only quarter of a game left, pounding both with the nerves of the game itself and of what would happen afterwards.

He clenched his hands together to stop them from shaking, looking around at his teammates and biting his lip nervously. What would they say when they found out about him and Kaden?

Would they care? He knew that more than likely they wouldn't give a shit that he wasn't straight, but their issue could possibly be that he was with Kaden Rivers, a common rival amongst the team.

Then again, if they knew it was love they'd probably go easier on him. Still, he could never be too certain.

The sound of the coach's whistle snapped him out of his thoughts and soon he was heading back to the playing field. The roars from the audience was ringing in his ears, and he was filled with rushes of adrenaline, reminding him of just how much he loved this sport.

He lined out, making unintentional eye contact with Kaden (who looked super hot in those tight pants he had to admit). He felt his stomach flip with nerves but forced himself to ignore it, focusing on the ground below him instead.

A moment later the referee jogged over, taking up his position beside them. Tension filled the air, the crowd pumped with anticipation. The ref blew his whistle, and just like that the game was back on.

Farren threw every last ounce of energy he had into the game. Twelve minutes. Twelve minutes until it would be all over. Twelve minutes until everything would be just beginning. Twelve minutes was too soon.

His eyes trained on Kaden at the other end of the field, and suddenly twelve minutes felt like twelve years. The end of the game couldn't come sooner enough.

Farren put everything he had into winning, and with only seconds left on the clock, he started to feel more anticipation than he did before the game started.

Ten seconds left.

The audience began to chant, and Farren found himself double checking the scoreboard just to be absolutely sure that Jefferson High was in fact on top. Two points wasn't much of a lead, but as the audience's countdown reached three seconds, two points was enough.

And then just like that it was over, and they had won. The whistle blew, and a roar of victory went up amongst the Jefferson players and supporters, as the Redwood boys dropped to a squat in defeat. Farren could hardly believe it. They had won, and if it wasn't for the deafening cheers of the Jefferson supporters he wouldn't have known for certain. It all felt too surreal.

He hugged his teammates, all of them dancing and chanting in a rush of victory. Once the celebrations died down the players of both teams met in the middle of the field to shake hands, coach's orders.