27

Kaden couldn't keep the scowl off his face as he pushed open the door of the overly expensive restaurant in the city.

Seeing his parents was never something he enjoyed. Since he had started living mostly on his own, his parents made him go to these stupid dinners once every couple of months to "catch up" or some shit like that.

Really, it was just so they could keep up appearances with their rich friends.

Scanning the restaurant with annoyed eyes, he made his way over to where his parents sat, their eyes regarding him the way one would regard an old acquaintance. Not the way one would regard their own son.

Big time lawyers, Carol and Michael Rivers were considered socially important amongst the community. Two people who liked the idea of having a child, but never knew how to actually raise the child once they did.

His mother had straight blond hair falling to her shoulders, his father with cropped hair, slightly darker.

They weren't bad people at heart, Kaden knew that. Sure, they cared a little too much about the family name and appearances, but they weren't cruel.

They just weren't cut out to be parents. They were kind and understanding to their friends, but when it came to dealing with an actual child, they were way out of their depth.

He flopped into his chair, giving them both a curt nod. He could see his parents smiles become strained as he sat sloppily in his chair.

"Kaden dear, it's nice to see you." Carol said, patting him hesitantly on the shoulder.

He had stop calling them Mom and Dad years ago.

"Yeah," Kaden replied awkwardly, not quite sure what else he could say.

"How's school going?" Michael asked in an attempt to break the awkwardness that had settled over them once again.

Kaden fought against the urge to roll his eyes. Of course the first question his father asked would have to be about his education. Can't have their son become a drop out, what ever would the neighbours think?

"Yeah, good." Kaden said, picking up the menu and scanning it with his eyes.

His parents mimicked his actions, also plucking up their menus and reading through the options.

"I'm top of my class in maths," he blurted out a second later, instantly regretting it.

He hated that need that he felt to impress them. He hated that no matter how much they disregarded him he still felt this need to make them proud.

Their smiles should mean nothing to him. He felt anger bubbling up inside of him. Anger at his parents, but mostly at himself. He was an idiot, always trying to prove himself to them, as if their fucking opinions even mattered.

"That's great honey." Carol said with a smile, while Michael said "Well done kid, " at the same time.

He hated that his mood slightly lifted at this, and forced himself to remember who exactly he was talking to. The people who had abandoned him, who had chose a life in the city over a life with their son.

He felt tears of anger burning in his eyes, and decided to excuse himself before they spilled over.

"I'll be in the bathroom." He said as he stood up, fighting to keep his voice steady. "If the waitress comes just order me whatever."