Chapter 17

6 months later

I stood in front of the stone, all alone, looking at the photograph of the old man. This is it. The all that's left of him. All after the countless of great things he did, the hearts he had touched, lives he had saved. Nothing left of that man except for just a big stone with his picture in front of it.

This has been a hard time for everybody in Konoha. Their great leader, 3rd hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi had passed away. Everybody had been in pain for a long time, but it was now that the village was starting to heal.  Lady Tsunade got selected as the next hokage, and was trying her best to be a good one, though Danzo wasn't so happy about it. Kakashi sensei said that he wanted the job for himself, even before the 4th hokage, his sensei, was selected.

I felt the cold rain drop, dropping on my cheek as I felt a hand on my shoulder.

-          He died saving the village, the most important thing to him. – he said.

I looked up at him, and he wasn't wearing his usual jounin vest, nor the headband which covered his sharingan, making his left eye glisten in red.

-          You should close your eye, it'll get you tired. – he nodded. – and I know. He died saving something that was the most precious to him. That's why he died with a smile on his face. – I said proudly.

The hokage was far beyond a hero, and I knew that. And there's no way that i'll ever understand his heroic feelings, but I understood a little something. People think death is the most fearsome thing that'll ever happen to them, and maybe they're right. But what if your death wasn't just an accident or some other stupid thing, what if you were saving something or someone that is dear to you? Then it's just a choice, an easy one at that. Whether a long life without that precious something, or a silent death knowing, that something will be alright because of you. And of course in my case, that something would be him.  I knew what my choice will be, already chose a long time ago.

-          You know what? – I asked smiling. He looked at raising his eyebrows, surprised. I guess I haven't smiled in a very long time.

-          I think he's taught us more than enough with his last actions. And someday, when the time comes, I'll die with a smile on my face.

He closed his eyes, furrowing his eyebrows just as I realized what I had said. I must've sounded like a ninety year old.

-          Don't talk about your death. – he said in a serious tone. – it... brings back some unwanted memories.

-          Sorry.

-          Kakashi! – I heard a harsh, demanding voice as I turned around and saw Danzo.

-          Come here at the hokage's office, right this instant! I can't believe she didn't call you in months ago. She's not doing her job. – the man said in an angry tone.

For me, he felt like an older version of Zabuza. Except Zabuza was nicer in the end.

Kakashi sensei looked at me – I'll be back – and walked to Danzo's direction.

-          No, she will come too. – he said in his demanding voice, pointing his finger at me, shooting me a disgusted glare. Kakashi scoffed, glaring at Danzo with red sparks in his eyes. I gripped the back of his hand, gesturing him to calm down.

-          Okay, we will come. – I said.

-          Good.

He turned on his heel as we followed him.

When we got in the hokage's office, not so surprisingly, all the elders were there. All of them looking angrily at us as we came in, except for Lady Tsunade. She had put her chin on her clenched fist, closed her eyes with furrowed eyebrows, as if she's thinking something through.