Two

Luke

This has been one of the worst days in my recent memory. I am 18 years old, about to graduate high school, and I am still letting these dickheads run my life. For seven hours a day, I'm on edge, waiting for the next thing Miles and his goons have planned to make me look like a fool. 

My mom and dad don't get it either...my mom is too drunk to even know what day it is, and my dad says I just need to man up and get over it. No one understands...no one gives a shit.

Just then, my phone dinged. My heart sped up, and I felt heat crawling up my neck when I saw who it was from: Rachel.

Hey, Luke...I just wanted to say that I saw what Miles did to you in the cafeteria today, and I'm sorry.

I closed my eyes. I knew I should be nice to her, but the walls around my heart rose even higher at the thought of someone caring—and then letting me down, as always.

Why are you sorry? It's not like you made him do it...or did you?

Minutes passed before she responded, and I immediately regretted my tone.

Sorry I said anything. Forget it.

I threw my phone on the bed and stalked out of my bedroom to find something to eat.

Rachel

I stared at my phone with a blank expression on my face. Why in the hell did I bother reaching out to Luke if he was just going to shove it back in my face? As if I'd have anything to do with Miles, let alone a plan to embarrass Luke.

Ding.

I looked down at my phone, almost expecting to see an apology from Luke. But it was a text from a number I didn't recognize.

Hey Rachel, what's up?

I furrowed my brows and pulled my legs under me on the couch.

Who is this?

It's Miles Jefferson.

"Ugh!" I said out loud, startling my dog, Jack, on the floor in front of me.

What do you want? And how did you get my number?

Your friend Brooke...she said u wouldnt mind.

"Oh she did, did she?" I said out loud again, and Jack looked up at me from the floor. I reached down and ruffled his ears. "She's going to get it, Jack, yes she is!" I picked up my phone again to respond and realized I had no idea what to say to him.

Oh. Well, I'll have to discuss that with her later. What do you want, Miles?

I wanted to see if youd have dinner w/me Friday nite.

Was this guy serious? No fucking way! I was ready to type that, but then my conscience stepped in. No matter how big of a jerk he was, I couldn't bring myself to be mean to him.

I don't think so, Miles. I've got plans with my parents Friday.

So it was a lie...but at least I wasn't rude.

Saturday?

Shit.

I can't, Miles.

Well, maybe some other time?

He just wasn't going to give up.

Maybe. Good night, Miles.

Good night, Rachel.

"I'm going to kick Brooke's ass," I said to Jack, and he barked in return.