Fifty-One - April 28, 2018

Luke

After dinner at Firefly, we had forgotten about the confrontation between my dad and Miles'... or at least we pushed it way back into the back of our minds.

We climbed back into the limo and directed the driver to The Palms, where prom was being held.

"Ahem." Miles was clearing his throat, and we all looked in his direction. He pulled a bottle from underneath his seat: champagne.

"Champagne?" Brooke asked, rubbing her hands together in anticipation.

"Yeah, I thought we could each have a glass before we go inside. Y'all in?" he asked, pulling four plastic flutes from a small cabinet across from his seat.

We all agreed, Miles poured, and Rachel handed us each a glass.

"Allow me to make a toast," I started, and everyone looked at me, champagne glasses in hand. "I want to say thank you to you guys. Thank you for giving me a chance to open up – a chance to actually have friends." I turned to my left. "Rachel, thank you for forcing me to actually speak. Miles, thank you for not being a dick," I winked at him and he laughed, "and Brooke... thank you for giving me a chance to actually take a girl on a date. You're amazing," I finished, leaning over and kissing her cheek. She flushed happily. "Cheers," I exclaimed, and we clinked our glasses together, downing the liquid in each, ready to take on whatever faced us inside.

Brooke

The champagne was flowing through my system when we stepped out of the limo and through the doors of The Palms.

"Wow," I murmured to Rachel. "It looks really pretty in here."

"The juniors really came through," she agreed.

The tables were covered in ebony cloths, white rose petals, and turquoise silk runners. There were white lights strung from the ceiling, creating a romantic glow. I cursed myself for being so struck by the beauty – it was completely against my nature to be impressed by cheesy stuff like prom – but this was really magical. I glanced at Luke; being there with him may have had something to do with it.

He must've felt me staring, because he turned to me and grinned. "What?" he asked, slipping his arm around my waist.

I leaned into him and slipped my hand in his back pocket. "I was just thinking about how gorgeous you are – and how lucky I am to be your date."

He raised his eyebrows. "Funny. I was just thinking the same thing."

I turned to face him then, kissing him full on the mouth in the middle of the dance floor. I realized it was the first time we'd kissed so publicly – and I was so fucking proud. Luke was a catch – and I was so glad I had realized it before someone else did.

Rachel

"Awww, yes!" I exclaimed as the opening notes of "Feel It Still" came through the speakers. "Dance with me, Miles!"

He didn't even try to argue with me anymore – I'd made him dance with me for the last two and a half hours.

He pulled me to him in one motion and to my extreme glee, he not only danced with me but sang too.

We were ridiculous and we knew it, but it was just too much fun. I found myself wishing I had allowed myself to let go of my inhibitions long ago.

The song ended and Miles kissed me, pushing my hair out of my face. "You're so damn cute," he said, and I flushed.

"You are," I responded for the second time this evening.

The music stopped and everyone looked toward the stage. Ms. Johnson and Mr. DeWitt were stepping to the center, and Mr. DeWitt tapped the mike.

"Good evening, Bay High!" he exclaimed, and we all cheered in response. "I hope everyone has been having a good time tonight... and now, Ms. Johnson and I have been asked to announce Prom King and Queen.

Everyone cheered and I looked around, wondering who would win. I had voted for Jason Quinn and Elizabeth Roberts, who had been homecoming king and queen, only because I didn't really know who else to vote for. I was sure they'd win since they'd been together for –

"Bay High's 2018 Prom King issss..." Mr. DeWitt said, dragging out the s. "Miles Jefferson!" he announced, and my mouth dropped open.

"Oh my God, baby!" I squealed, jumping up and kissing him on the cheek. I wasn't really surprised; Miles had been the most popular guy in school since we were little.

He sheepishly ran his hand through his hair and kissed me before he ran up on the stage. Mr. DeWitt put the crown on his head and shook his hand.

I stood there looking around, wondering who the Queen would be. I thought I'd feel jealous – thinking of one of the most popular girls in school standing next to Miles wearing a matching crown – but I didn't. I knew Miles loved me, and it didn't matter who won –

"And Bay High's 2018 Prom Queen is... Rachel Cross!" Ms. Johnson exclaimed, and I swear to God, my heart stopped.

I turned to Brooke and Luke, who were standing stock still – obviously a little more shocked at this announcement than the last.

"Go!" Brooke squeaked, shoving me toward the stage.

I put my hand over my mouth and I made my way to the stage, hardly believing the applause of my peers around me.

Miles was grinning so widely, I thought his face would crack. Ms. Johnson put the crown on my head and pulled me into a hug.

"Congratulations, guys!" she and Mr. DeWitt said together, and as we stepped off stage, Mr. DeWitt made one more announcement.

"Now, if the King and Queen will make their way to the center of the floor, they'll share their traditional dance," he said, and I could tell he was totally making up this dialogue as he went. This made both Miles and I laugh as we stepped into the spotlight.

Miles

I put my hands around Rachel's waist as she wrapped her arms around my neck, her beautiful face turned up toward mine.

"Jesus," she whispered as "Heaven" by Kane Brown started playing. "Did you have any idea this was going to happen?

I shook my head. "No, honestly, I never thought about it! I thought it would be Jason Quinn and—"

"Elizabeth Roberts?!" she exclaimed. "Me too!"

We laughed and she laid her head on my chest, sighing happily.

"You are my queen, you know," I whispered against her temple. "And as far as I'm concerned, right at this moment, I want it to be that way forever."

She looked up at me, her blue eyes shining. "Seriously? You've thought about that too?" she asked.

I nodded. "Every damn day. I love you, Rachel Cross."

"I love you, Miles Jefferson," she murmured, standing on her tiptoes to kiss me as the applause from our classmates filled the room.