Seven

Rachel

After the awkward encounter I had with Miles at the cemetery on Friday, I just wanted to lie low in AP Euro, our only class together. I had avoided speaking to anyone all weekend, and I wanted to keep that pattern going through today. So when I sat in the back by myself, I thought he'd take the hint. I didn't mind that Luke sat behind me, but when Miles dropped his books on the desk next to me, I let out an audible sigh.

He kept looking at me with these sidelong glances, and I knew he was thinking about what happened Friday.

And as much as I hated to admit it, I was thinking about it too.

Luke

As I stared at the back of Rachel's head, I resumed kicking myself for not going to get coffee with her Friday. Why was it so hard for me to accept any kindness from anyone—especially her? She was the only one I really cared about. But when she talks to me, I clam up even more than usual. I had to figure out a way to let my guard down.

And if I'm being honest with myself, I haven't even needed to raise my guard for the last few days. Miles hadn't so much as given me a dirty look since the day he tripped me in the cafeteria.

He sat down in the row next to me and Rachel, and I had to wonder why...but the longer I sat there, the clearer it became to me.

He liked her too.

Miles

"Rachel, wait!" I exclaimed, throwing my backpack over my shoulder and following her out of the classroom.

She stopped, and I saw her shoulders drop as she exhaled. She turned around and put her hands in the pocket of her hoodie, looking down. "What is it, Miles?" she asked, not meeting my eyes.

"I-I'm sorry about Friday, Rachel...I shouldn't have..." I was feeling more and more idiotic by the second.

She shook her head. "It's fine, Miles..." Luke passed us at that second, and she looked up at him. He eyed us curiously and stopped next to her as if she needed him to protect her.

I knew I was being a dick. I knew it. But I did it anyway.

I scoffed. "So that's how it is. I hope you two will be very happy together," I spat, turning on my heel to go the opposite way.

"Miles!" 

Once again, like an idiot, I walked away from her.

Brooke

"Miles!" I heard Rachel exclaim from my hiding spot behind the vending machine.

Why was Rachel even speaking to Miles? The other day she couldn't stand him. And now she was walking to the cafeteria with the weird kid. 

I bit my lip and looked at my phone. I was dying to text her to find out what was going on, but we hadn't talked since last Wednesday. Actually, this was the longest we'd ever gone without speaking. As I watched her round the corner with Luke, I decided I couldn't wait any longer.

I'm sorry about the other day. Forgive me?

I waited with bated breath for her reply.

Of course. Eat lunch with us?

Us?

This should be interesting.

Rachel

Eating lunch with Brooke and Luke was unexpectedly easy. After introducing them, they fell into a comfortable conversation about Doctor Who.

"Who's your favorite Doctor?" Brooke asked Luke, taking a bite of her granola bar.

"Well, I lean toward the Tenth Doctor," he said, leaning forward on his elbows like was waiting for a rebuttal.

Brooke grinned. "ME TOO! David Tennant is amazing!"

I looked down and smiled, pulling out my iPhone from my purse, letting their words fade into the background. Doctor Who was Brooke's thing, and while she had made me watch a few episodes, I never could get into it. I was glad she'd finally found a fellow Doctor Who lover. After I scrolled through my Instagram feed once, the bell rang to return to class. 

The three of us stood up, and Brooke smiled at Luke. "You're cool, Salazar. More people should give you a chance. And I have to say I'm sorry I haven't before," she said, sticking her fist out for a fist bump. He smiled and bumped her outstretched fist, and we all went our separate ways.

I swallowed over the sudden lump in my throat. Brooke being nice to Luke...it's the first step in making his life—at least at school—a little better.

it's the first step in making his life—at least at school—a little better