Sixty-One - May 9, 2018

Luke

"Hey, Luke?" Miles asked as we finished washing the dishes from dinner.

"What's up?"

"Mother's Day is Saturday... I was thinking we should do something for your mom," he suggested, rinsing the last pan and handing it to me to dry.

"That's a great idea, bro. Do you have any ideas?" I wiped my hands on the dry towel, throwing it onto the counter.

"Not really..." Miles said. "I haven't had a mom to celebrate Mother's Day with in a long time."

I nodded. "We'll think of something good. We have the rest of the week."

"Miles, have you spoken to William?" I asked, perching on a stool at the counter. I wasn't sure what to call him anymore – "your father" didn't seem right anymore, but I sure as hell wasn't going to use the word "our."

He laughed out loud, grabbing a cookie from the plate on the counter. "Fuck no. I'd rather lick the sidewalk."

I wrinkled my nose. "That's disgusting."

"So is he." He sighed. "He's called me every day since Saturday, and I've just let it go to voicemail."

"I don't blame you."

"Well, you shouldn't. Because honestly, you have more of a reason to be pissed than I do," Miles said, and I considered this.

"I see your point," I agreed, nodding slowly. "I could fucking kill him for what he did to my mother."

"He's evil," Miles said, brushing crumbs off the counter into his hand and tossing them in the trash can.

"You know, it makes me wonder what else he's done and gotten away with," I mused.

Miles shrugged. "Honestly there's no telling."

"And I also wonder... did your mother know any of this?" I asked.

Miles shook his head vehemently. "No way. There's no way she would've known about this and let him get away with it. She was a saint."

"I wish she were still here... it would make things a lot easier on you," I said.

"Yes and no... I'd have her to fall back on, but all of this would break her heart."

"True. How's Rachel doing with all this?" I asked, folding and unfolding the placement in front of me.

"She's bothered by it... I can tell. It really hurts my heart because I can't help but feel like she looks at me differently now."

"Why do you say that?"

"I don't know... sometimes I'll catch her looking at me with this inexplicable look on her face."

"That doesn't mean she sees you any different, Miles. She loves you."

"I know..." But he still looked troubled.

Brooke

The gulf breeze blew my hair over my shoulders as I jogged down the beach, my bare feet slapping the sand.

I hadn't intended on jogging, but when I started walking, I just couldn't stop myself. My ankles were probably going to kill me later. I had almost reached my house when I saw Rachel out on the sand.

I waved at her and she waved back, half-heartedly.

When I reached her, I pulled my earbuds out of my ears and kissed her cheek. "Hey Rach," I greeted her, out of breath.