Forty-Nine - April 23, 2018

Miles

Rachel's parents took us out to eat at Olive Garden after the game, and it was already dark by the time I got home. My dad's Land Rover was in the driveway, and I honestly couldn't help but wonder, a little wrathfully, why he hadn't been at the game. I hated to admit it, but it hurt that he didn't show up.

I knew I had played better without him, but he was still my dad – and the little boy within me wanted to make him happy... proud. But the man I'd turned into knew that would never happen.

I turned my key in the lock, trying to ignore the lump in my throat. I dropped my bag in the foyer and strode past my dad's office without looking in, taking the stairs two at a time.

***

After I took a shower and changed into pajamas, I sat on the edge of the bed to put on some socks. A light knock sounded at my door and I rolled my eyes. "Come in," I said reluctantly.

Dad came in, still in his work clothes, his tie loose around his neck. "Hey Miles... how was the game?" he asked, sitting down in my desk chair.

I clenched my teeth before answering. "We won. 10-5. I made the winning run," I said flatly.

"Well good. That means you made it to state," he said, leaning forward, elbows on his thighs.

"Yeah," I said shortly.

"What's wrong with you?" he asked, sitting back and appraising me coldly.

I tried to hold it in, but I couldn't; I scoffed. His eyes flashed, but I spoke anyway. "Where were you, Dad? Why didn't you come to the game?"

"I had to work late, Miles. Do you think things just get done on their own? Someone has to provide all of this for you," he said, stretching his arms out to indicate my room and all the objects inside.

I sighed. "I know that, Dad. I just... this was an important game for me. It could've been my last if we hadn't won. And you weren't there," I said, ashamed at the emotion in my voice. Miles, why do you care?

He stood up and crossed his arms. "I'm sorry, Miles. But you and I both know you play better without me there," he said, shocking me with the statement of truth.

"Maybe so... but... it still would've been nice to think that you care," I said, knowing I was pushing him, but once again, not caring.

He stepped toward me and I stood up to face him. "Miles, you're out of line," he said gruffly.

I set my jaw. "I'm out of line?"

"Yes," he growled, pushing me down back onto the side of the bed and leaning down to get in my face. "Do not speak to me this way, Miles Grant Jefferson. Do you understand?"

I felt my eyes go cold, emotionless. "I understand."

He stood up, taken by surprise at my surrender. He looked at me a moment longer and then disappeared into the hallway.

I lay back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Would I ever be able to just have a normal relationship with my father, like Rachel and Luke?

I somehow doubted it.

Too much damage had been done.

April 27, 2018

Brooke

"Are you going to spend the night with me on prom night?" I asked Rachel as we walked to the parking lot after school.

She grinned. "No. Did I not tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Miles got us a hotel room," she said nonchalantly.

"Well, well, mercy me. Looks like my little magnolia just turned into a big ho," I said in an exaggerated Southern accent, quoting our favorite show, The Golden Girls.

She shoved me playfully. "I think he really wanted that to be our first time... but..." She sighed deeply and dramatically. "It was perfect."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, you've told me all the gory details already..."

She giggled and hugged me when we reached her car. "I'll see you tomorrow... and hey, as far as my parents know, I am staying the night with you."

I nodded. "I know... I know... See ya – make sure to wear your sexy underwear!" I teased.

When I got in the car, I texted Luke.

Hey Luke

Hey B, what's up

Nothing, just wanted to say I can't wait until tomorrow

Me either. You still haven't told me what your dress looks like. Except that I needed a silver tie.

Nope. It's a surprise.

Fiiiine. Whatever it is, you're going to look gorgeous.

Aww, shucks. xoxo

xx

I plugged my phone in and dropped it in my purse, heading home to see if Katherine was there yet – I needed hair advice.

Luke

I picked up my tux and arrived home to see Miles pacing in my driveway.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, rolling the window down and stepping out of the car.

"I have to talk to you," he said, his eyes almost wild.

"Okay, calm down, cuz," I said, putting my hand on his arm and leading him to the rocking chairs on my porch. "What the hell happened? I have barely seen you all week."

"I know. Things are getting worse with my dad, Luke," he said, wringing his hands. "I don't know what to do. Tomorrow is going to be a disaster," he cried.

My heart constricted when I remembered what my dad had said. "Promise me son... If you notice things getting worse. Tell me."

"What do you mean, 'getting worse," Miles?" I asked. "Has he hit you again?"

He shook his head and I felt my breath return to normal. "No. But there's something different about him... a calmness that is terrifying me. He knows I've figured out the connection between us, Luke. I don't know how, but I know he knows. And I just have this sinking feeling that something is going to go horribly wrong tomorrow. And I don't want it to be ruined for you all, especially Rachel."

"It won't be. My dad won't allow it, I promise you that," I said, confident in my words.

Miles leaned back and sighed. "Okay. I'm going to trust you, Luke. Just please... you have my back, right?"

I turned in my seat and held out my hand. "I promise."

He took my hand and we shook on it.

I only hoped there'd be nothing to protect him from.