Forty-One

Miles

We were on a blanket on the beach by St. Andrews, tucked away in the shadow of a sand dune. It was a chilly night, and there was no one around.

I put my hand on her thigh, running it up to the hemline of her tank top, slipping my hand underneath, feeling the swell of her breast under her thin lace bra.

"Miles," she breathed, lifting her head to mine and biting my bottom lip gently, wrapping her leg around mine and running her bare toes down my calf.

I groaned and leaned down, pressing my lips to the spot in the crook of her neck. She arched her back, pressing against me. I moaned again, my eyes meeting hers as I pulled back from her neck.

Her blue eyes were dark with desire. I moved off of her and pulled her up into a sitting position in front of me, never taking my eyes off of hers.

"Miles, I want you," she whispered, her hair falling over her shoulders in waves and her voice raspy with longing.

If I were a weaker man, I would've given in right then. But instead, I took a deep breath and took both of her hands in mine. "I want you too, Rachel. But...not here. Not like this, where anyone could just walk right up on us. I want it to be perfect. And it won't be, not here."

She nodded, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"I got us a hotel room for after prom," I blurted.

Her eyes lit up. "You did?"

I nodded. "Yeah, and I figured if you weren't ready, we could just sleep—I love sleeping next to you," I said truthfully.

She smiled. "I love sleeping next to you too...but Miles? I am ready; I'm beyond ready," she said.

"I was hoping you'd say that," I replied, cupping her cheek in my hand.

Luke

"Mom, Dad, I asked Brooke to prom yesterday after school," I said casually, like it was no big deal.

Mom clapped her hands over her mouth and Dad's grin nearly split his face apart. "That's my boy!" he exclaimed.

"That's amazing, honey," my mom gushed, pulling me and my dad into a group hug.

"Thanks guys."

Mom demanded excitedly, "Are you going to eat beforehand? Getting a limo? Tell us your plans!"

I laughed. "I don't know, we haven't talked about all that yet. I just know we are going to go with Rachel and Miles," I said, my voice falling on Miles' name.

Mom and Dad exchanged a glance but didn't protest.

"That sounds great, Luke. Proud of you, son," my dad said, squeezing my shoulder.

"Thanks...I also played guitar in the pep rally for Miles yesterday."

They exchanged shocked glances again. "You did what?" my mom asked.

"Miles wanted to ask Rachel in this big grand gesture, so he asked me to play guitar while he sang some mushy love song, so I did."

I thought my mom's eyes were going to bug out of her head. "You've never wanted to play in front of anyone. What changed?" she asked, tears filling her eyes.

I shrugged. "Friends, I guess? Knowing that there were at least three people who weren't going to laugh...and you know what?"

"What, baby?" she asked.

"The whole school cheered. I know they were cheering for Miles and Rachel, but they were cheering for me too. And that felt good, y'all. It felt really good," I admitted.

"Oh baby, I'm so glad," my mom murmured as she pulled me into another hug.

It made me so happy to make my parents proud...I just wished I knew the rest of the secret they were hiding.

I just wished I knew the rest of the secret they were hiding