Epilogue - August 2020

Luke

Some country song Rachel once forced me to listen to says that life is full of days that don't stand out, but life's about the days that will... like the day my parents adopted Miles, the day I kissed Brooke, the day Rachel asked me to eat lunch with them.

Like two years ago... the day Miles and Rachel left for Tallahassee. The day they left Brooke and I to hold down the fort in Panama City. I wasn't prepared for the emotional toll their departure would take on me. I didn't want things to change – the last two years had been everything I'd ever wanted in my life.

Sometimes I look at my life and still can't believe it. The love, the friendship, the money... it all seems like a dream. A dream that I really don't care to wake up from.

To think that just four years ago, I was ready to ruin Miles' life... and within the last two, he's helped to make my life better.

And the best conclusion I ever came to was that I wasn't the only one with issues – not the only one with insecurities, a broken heart... not the only one with pain.

And the only way to rid yourself of that pain is love.

I could only hope that this love wouldn't disappear.

The gulf breeze swept over my face as I closed my eyes against the sunset.

She touched my arm then, and when I looked up, her eyes were sad. "Luke, we need to talk." 

"