Sixty-Eight - May 17, 2018

Luke

"Are you guys ready for this?" I asked, glancing in the rearview mirror at Miles and Rachel as I pulled up in front of the police station.

"Yeah," Miles said confidently. "I'm ready. Let's do this."

Brooke glanced at me. "Do you think it should just be you and Luke? Would it be like, I don't know, a conflict of interest if Rachel goes in?"

I started to respond, but Rachel spoke up first. "Brooke has a point. It may look like I'm just trying to pin my brother's death on someone."

Miles nodded. "Okay. You and Brooke just stay in the car, and we'll be out as soon as we're done."

I kissed Brooke and stepped out of the car, and as soon as Miles said his goodbye to Rachel, he stepped out beside me.

"Ready, brother?"

"Ready," he replied, and we walked into the station together.

When we came through the door, a middle-aged receptionist greeted us. "Hello boys, how can I help you?"

"We need to speak with a detective."

"What is this regarding?"

I took a deep breath. "The death of James Cross."

Her eyes widened a bit. "Hold on just one moment." She picked up the phone. "Detective Walker? There are two young men here to see you. They say they have information about James Cross' death." She paused for a moment. "All right. Thank you." She looked up and pointed down the hallway. "He's in the first office on the right. He will see you now."

Miles and I glanced at each other. "Thank you, ma'am," I said as we made our way down the hall.

Detective Walker's office was bright and sunny. He was probably in his 40s, tall, with dark hair that was thinning slightly on top. When he looked up, he smiled at us.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. If you wouldn't mind, close the door and take a seat." He gestured toward the two plush chairs in front of his desk.

Miles closed the door and we both sat down. I nervously tapped my foot and Miles drummed his fingers on the arm of the chair.

"Thank you for seeing us, Detective," I blurted.

"Well, I hope you young men have something that will help me solve this case," he said, putting his elbows on top of his desk.

"I think we do, Detective Walker," Miles said, and held his hand out for my phone.

I put it in his palm and he pulled up the photos. But before he handed the phone over, he spoke.

"I want to give you a little backstory. My name is Miles Jefferson and this is my half-brother, Luke Salazar. We recently found out that we share the same father." He bit his lip before he spoke again. "I've also been dating Rachel Cross, James Cross's sister, since March." He took a deep breath. "Our sperm donor, William Jefferson, is a terrible human being. Ever since my mom died, he's abu – " He stopped abruptly and looked at me. I nodded encouragingly. "He's physically abused me for the last seven years." Detective Walker's eyes widened and he started to speak. "Wait a second; I have to power through this." Detective Walker nodded. "We also found out that he raped Luke's mother – his own sister-in-law – and that's how she got pregnant with Luke. Then, on prom night, he slapped my girlfriend in the face, and two days ago, returned to our school after dismissal, put his hands on her again, and threatened her in the parking lot."

Miles stopped talking and the detective cleared his throat. "My God. Everything you've said here is a crime. Child abuse and endangerment, rape, assault."