Thirty-Seven

Brooke

I sat at the lunch table, waiting for the Three Stooges to join me. I had just bitten into an apple when Luke slid into the booth next to me.

"Hey B," he greeted, kissing me on the cheek, then biting the opposite side of my apple.

"You're in a good mood," I said between giggles.

"I'm going to talk to my parents tonight about Miles and his father. I'm so ready to figure out what in the hell is going on," he said, opening a bottle of water and taking a swig.

"Good. Let me know how it goes," I said, and just then Miles and Rachel appeared at the table, his arm draped over her shoulders.

"Let you know how what goes?" she asked, sliding into the booth across from us, pulling Miles down next to her.

"I'm going to talk to my parents tonight," Luke said, grinning.

Miles perked up. "Yeah? Call me as soon as you know something."

Luke nodded and then looked at his watch. "Ah, I gotta go, Sanders needs me to put a few finishing touches on the mural before the yearbook class comes to take photos." He leaned over and turned my face to his, kissing me.

"Mmm," I hummed against his mouth. His tongue pressed against my lips, and I opened my mouth, allowing him to deepen the kiss.

Rachel cleared her throat, and we sprang apart, remembering where we were.

"Coach Shaffer is staring at you guys," she said, clearing her throat, pointing at the elderly coach at the front of the room.

Miles glanced over his shoulder. "Aw hell, I don't think he even knows where he is."

We looked at each other and burst into peals of laughter.

Miles

I knew the last thing on my mind should be prom, but it was coming up in three weeks. Rachel and I hadn't talked about it, and I knew it was just assumed that we'd go together. But everyone was talking about "Promposals," and I knew I had to step up for Rachel.

I had it all planned for this Friday the 13th. I had learned over the past week that Rachel is superstitious about Friday the 13th and has already convinced herself that it's going to be a terrible day.

I was going to make sure it wasn't.

Rachel

I sat back, my arm stretched out on top of the booth, my bare toes brushing against Miles' knee.

He was on his phone, with headphones in, probably watching some baseball plays. I loved him more than I could even admit to him, but he was annoying me at the moment.

Prom was on April 28th and he still hadn't asked me.

I know he had all this stuff going on with his dad and Luke, but prom was coming no matter what.

I watched him, his head moving back and forth with the rhythm of whatever he was listening to, and realized I couldn't be mad at him; he was just too cute.

I shifted onto my knees and kissed his cheek. He pulled his earbuds out and grinned at me. "What was that for?" he asked.

"Just for being adorable," I said, and then the bell rang.

"Time for 5th," I sighed.

"I have a quiz in Chem 2," he said, standing up and stretching.

He leaned down, ran his hand down my cheek and kissed me gently.

"I love you," he murmured against my lips.

"I love you more."

He opened his eyes and smiled. "Not a chance." 

"