Eleven

Rachel

Ms. Johnson just gave me a lecture for skipping her class, but no write up. I don't think I'll get so lucky with the rest of my teachers. I was about to get points on my discipline record. For the first time. In my entire 12 years of being in school.

Damnit, Miles.

But I have to admit I had an amazing time with Miles yesterday...well, after his breakdown in the alcove. I hadn't allowed myself to ponder that yet. I had instead focused on our time at the beach.

All evening.

All night.

All morning.

It was ridiculous. I hadn't been able to focus on a damn thing other than that almost kiss. I could've slapped the shit out of Brooke for interrupting the way she did.

She had texted me late last night, grilling me about my "status" with Miles. I kept avoiding her and avoiding her, and I turned my phone on Do Not Disturb and didn't touch it until this morning.

I had also avoided her at school until this period. Lunch was in twenty-five minutes and I knew I'd see her then.

After getting a lecture from Ms. Morris, along with an official write-up, I sat through forty minutes of notes, then headed to lunch.

I sat down at our usual table with my tray when I saw Brooke stomping toward me.

"Hey bitch," she said jokingly. "Why did you put me on DND last night?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because you wouldn't let it go! You never just let shit go!" I said, tossing her my fruit cup like I did every day.

She peeled it open and started eating it, staring at me. "You better tell me what the hell is going on before Luke gets here," she said around a mouthful of fruit cocktail.

I made a mental note to ask her since when did she even think twice about Luke. But first I had to get her off my back. I glanced across the cafeteria to see if Miles was here yet. I didn't see him, so I leaned forward and beckoned her closer. "Look, I think I might have a tiny crush on him, okay?" I hissed, and her brown eyes widened.

"I knew it! I fuckin' knew it!" she yelled, and I clapped my hand over her mouth.

"Shut up, Big Mouth!" 

She licked my hand, and I grimaced, wiping it on my jeans. "Ugh, Brooke Kane, you are disgusting."

She cackled, and then her eyes went big again.

"What?" I demanded, and she jerked her chin up. I looked over my shoulder to see Miles coming toward our table with a tea in his hand. I smiled at him, and his eyes brightened when he saw me.

"Damn," Brooke murmured.

I glared at her and mouthed Don't embarrass me!

She winked.

Oh Jesus.

Miles

I took a deep breath before walking over to the table where Rachel and Brooke were sitting. But right before I sat down, Luke Salazar walked in the door and headed to the same place.

Shit. Shit shit shit. There's no way I could sit there now...No one would even believe it if I told them, but I have laid awake for many nights—especially lately—thinking about the hell I've put him through. The very idea of sitting at the same table with him is horrifying. Not because of him, but because of me.

I clenched my jaw. If I was going to have half a chance in hell with Rachel, I had to at least try.

I swallowed hard and made it to the table at the same time as Luke. He glared at me, and I tried to smile at him, but I'm sure it appeared more like a scowl.

Rachel and Brooke looked up and between me and Luke like they were at a slow tennis match.

"Can I sit down?" I asked, after about ten seconds of standing there like an idiot.

"Of course!" Rachel yelped.

To my surprise, Luke dropped into the seat next to Brooke, who looked at him with a comforting smile on her face.

We sat in silence for about three minutes until Luke spoke.

"So, am I the only one who just felt the chill of hell freezing over?"

I snorted, and Rachel and Brooke fell apart into giggles.

Luke grinned, and I felt like I was in a dream—sitting in the cafeteria with Rachel Cross, Brooke Kane, and Luke Salazar instead of the baseball team? Surreal.

I wanted to apologize to him right then, but I knew it would be nothing but trite...so I decided to just try to be a normal person.

I opened my tea and took a big gulp. While I busied myself with that, Brooke started babbling about the Government test coming up Friday.

We fell into a simple conversation about how close we were to graduating, our most hated classes, and Netflix. Before I knew it, the bell was ringing to go to 6th period.

As we got up to leave, Luke gestured toward my cheek. "What happened to your face, man?"

I froze, and Rachel almost ran right into me. "I-uh," I stammered.

"His little kid neighbor is better at baseball than he is," Rachel lied. "He was just embarrassed to say so, right?"

I laughed. "Yeah, I admit it; that kid pegged me. Don't say anything to anyone, okay mate?"

Luke grinned. "I should blast that shit all over the school," he joked.

"Ha-Ha-ha," I said as he walked down the back hallway toward Ms. Morris' classroom. Brooke followed him, and I assumed they must have 6th period together.

Rachel and I were alone, and I felt her hand on my arm. I looked down at her and she smiled.

"Thanks, Rach. I just froze and forgot my own damn lie," I said, shaking my head.

"It's fine, Miles. I knew you wouldn't want to tell Luke the truth, and for sure not Brooke," she said.

"Right."

"But hey...you and Luke ate lunch together today. That's huge!" she exclaimed, and I smiled at her enthusiasm. I wasn't sure Luke would ever forgive me for what I'd put him through, but being nice to him and giving up the bullying had to be a start.

As we walked to class, I remembered that we had gotten caught ditching yesterday.

"Hey, did you get in trouble for cutting yesterday?" I asked.

She sighed and nodded. "Ms. Johnson and Ms. Dawson didn't write me up, but Morris did, and I am sure Brooks will too. I'll have at least one after-school detention."

"Me too. Ms. Johnson and Ms. Dawson let me off the hook, but Mr. DeWitt and Coach Wilkins wrote me up. I found out already about Wilkins even though I don't have him until last period. He sent me a text yesterday afternoon."

"Well, I guess we'll be in detention together."

"That'll be awesome...all we need is Luke, Brooke, and that goon that got a citation for smoking in the bathroom last year and we'd be a rag-tag Breakfast Club."

She threw back her head and laughed, and my heart melted. Again.

I was so enamored by her I almost forgot to worry about how my dad would react to my receiving detention.

Almost.