Sixty-Four - May 14, 2018

Luke

"You didn't come home last night," I said to Miles as we walked through the commons area. I looked at him closer – he had dark circles under his eyes, his hair was definitely unwashed, and his clothes were wrinkled.

"I know," he said flatly.

"And you look like hammered shit," I offered, trying to make him laugh.

"Thanks brother. I really appreciate that," he replied, unamused.

"Dude, what's going on?" I demanded.

"I didn't sleep well last night. Just leave me alone, Luke. Please," he begged, his voice hard.

I stopped walking and let him go ahead of me. It had been a long time since Miles had spoken to me harshly.

He kept walking and didn't turn around.

I was about to pull out my phone to text Brooke when she appeared next to me. "Morning love," she said, kissing my cheek.

"Good morning," I said distractedly, watching Miles make his way toward the library.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Something's going on with Miles."

"I know. Rachel called me last night – apparently she went over to his house and he was rude to her – told her to leave and everything. For literally no reason."

I narrowed my eyes and looked at her. "It can't be for no reason. Miles loves Rachel more than life itself – truthfully. Something's wrong."

Brooke swallowed. "We gotta figure out what it is."

"I concur. But for now, we have math."

"Ugh!" Brooke exclaimed, sticking her tongue out in disgust.

I closed my mouth over hers and she giggled, kissing me back.

"Come on, Kane. We only have 11 more days."

"Damnit. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm sort of sad."

Nodding, I replied, "Me too."

Rachel

I got out of the Impala in the parking lot at 7:55, barely making it in the door and to the library on time. My hair was in a high ponytail on the top of my head, and I was wearing running shorts and Miles' baseball hoodie. I hadn't even showered; I pretty much just rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth, and left the house.

When I walked into the library, I saw Miles sitting at the table across from our regular seat. My eyes ran over him, and I was just a little bit pleased to see that he looked as terrible as I did.

He looked up then, his tired eyes locking on mine. It took everything in me to not walk over to him. His eyes roamed over my outfit, and when he looked at my feet, a small grin appeared on his face.

I lowered my eyebrows and glanced down. Aw hell.

In my hurry to get out of the house this morning, I hadn't bothered to remove my socks... before I slid my feet into my Nike sandals.

I stomped my foot angrily and I heard Miles snort. I looked up and he was laughing, covering his mouth with his hand.

I glared at him, trying to ignore the butterflies I felt at seeing him laugh again. I went to our regular table and threw my backpack down on the table – too hard, I guess, because Ms. Dawson glared at me.

"Sorry," I whispered, sitting down and crossing my arms.

I felt my hoodie pocket buzz and I pulled out my phone, hiding it from Ms. Dawson.