Twenty-Five

Rachel

"Did you see—"

"Are they really—"

"Yeah, I think it's serious—"

These were the broken whispers I'd been hearing since Miles' dramatic show of affection in the commons area this morning. I had been close to saying something a few times, but I decided to just ignore them.

I walked into the library for 6th period, and Miles was sitting in the corner at what had become "our" table. His eyes lit up when I came in, and I felt mammoth butterflies enter my stomach.

"Hey baby," he said, standing up and hugging me. I inhaled again, just like I had this morning. How is it possible that he still smelled so good?

"Hey handsome," I replied, standing on my tiptoes to give him a kiss on the cheek.

We sat down and started working on the outline for our service project. After a few minutes of quiet, he poked me gently on the forearm. I looked up questioningly.

"Are you still coming to the game this afternoon?" 

I grinned. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

His cheeks turned pink. "Good. I'll be pitching most of the game, so it'll be great for you to be there."

"Can't wait."

Luke

When Brooke swept into Ms. Morris' class 6th period, I couldn't help but smile.

She grinned when she saw me and ran to my desk and dropped into a squat beside me. "Luke! I think I aced that test in Bio!"

"Excellent!" I exclaimed, holding my hand up for a high five. How awkward can you be, Salazar?

She must've not thought me awkward though, because she slapped my hand, lacing her fingers through mine. We both looked at our hands and my breath caught in my throat.

Ms. Morris came into the room and started her lecture on how difficult it was to become an American citizen.

Our hands broke apart, and she slid into the seat behind me.

I sat and tried to listen to Ms. Morris, but after a few minutes, she sounded like the teacher from Charlie Brown.

Halfway through class, I felt a long, pointed fingernail trailing down my spine. I shifted in my seat and sat up straighter. I had taken my hoodie off last period, and my t-shirt was so thin that she may as well have been touching my skin. I shivered, and I heard her soft laughter as she leaned toward me.

Her hair brushed against my arm, and her lips were against my ear. "Meet me in the back parking lot after 7th," she murmured.

Not just yes, but hell yes. But I just nodded.

She sat back and her hair fell away, featherlike against my arm, setting every nerve ending in my body on edge.

Damn, I'm in trouble.

Brooke

Teasing Luke during Government had gotten me completely revved up. I hoped he would meet me after school because I didn't know how much longer I could keep my lips—or my hands—off of him.

During Art, I sent Rachel a text. I don't know why, but I felt like I needed her approval before I went any further with Luke.

hey rae rae 

Hey Brookie!

i was wondering if i could get your seal of approval on something

Maybe—what's up?

i'm just gonna throw it out there. i wanna make out with Luke. like...yesterday

Well then...just tell me how you really feel.

#sorrynotsorry

Are you asking my permission?

kinda, yeah

Brooke, I can't help but remember that you thought he was a complete and total loser just a few weeks ago.

i know...but to be fair, you literally called Miles disgusting at lunch on the same day

Touché. Fine. You have my permission. But Brooke Kane, don't you dare break his heart. I mean it.

i wont. i really like him, Rach

I told you he was cool.

yeah, yeah

Gotta get to the baseball field now. xoxo.

baseball...will wonders never cease?

Enjoy your makeout session.

I certainly would.