Chapter 10: "The Girl At The Front Desk"

I'm driving down the road at fifty-five m.p.h., that's ten miles over the speed limit, and right now, I don't care.

I can't seem to get a handle on what's happening to my life.

Don't get me wrong, this whole "Chosen One" thing is kinda cool and all, but at the same time, I wish all this crazy would just go away, that tomorrow morning, I'd wake up in my bed and all of this would have just been a bad dream.

But what if Zeon fails, what if I fail. The entire human race will be wiped out of existence. I mean "No pressure" right?

You go and think about the responsibility of being tasked with saving the world being put on your shoulders and then tell me how you would handle all of this.

I pull up to the G.V.T building. It's an impressive looking place and it has a unique structural design. It's round, saucer shaped, almost looks like a giant... spaceship? Huh, never thought about it that way before.

Coincidence? This is Galaxy View after all, soooo... I think not. Dad's office is on the fifth and top floor. And since it's Sunday, he's off work, and there aren't as many people working this morning. But I'm still gonna need everything to go as planned if i'm going to make it out of here without getting caught. I know he'll find out about this soon enough and I'm so going to get in trouble for this little stunt.

But I need to start searching for the truth myself since nobody wants to just freakin' tell me it!

I walk into the lobby as cool as I can and head straight for the receptionist desk.

Ah nice, Becca's working the desk. She's one of those people in town, who has that strange factor about them I mentioned earlier. But she's very nice. A cute tall black girl. She's like 23-24, and I think she likes me, I can use that to my advantage.

"Good morning Becca, how have you been? And how'd you get stuck working on a Sunday?"

"Good morning Mr. Solmaxton, I'm doing well. Oh you know, need the cash. How you doin' today?"

"I'm good, good... And please, call me Solmax."

"Ok... Solmax. Glad to hear it. And may I say, you clean up quite nicely if I may say so myself?"

I also kinda borrowed one of my dad's suits. I have one of my own but whatever, it was right there.

"Thanks, I can't be coming in here lookin like a bum. Got to be putting on the suit and tie and representing."

"Umm-hmm, that's right... Your father isn't working today, so what brings you in and how may I help you?"

"Yeah, I know he's off today, that's why I'm here. He asked me to stop by and fetch something from his office for him. Would that be alright with you Becca?"

"I don't know Solmax, his office is in a pretty secure area. I could get in big trouble if I just let you go up there by yourself... Let me call security to escort you up and back down, OK? Hold on one moment please."

"Oh come on Becca, what do ya think I'm going to do, not go to my father's office? Instead, go sneaking around down in the basement? Take the spaceship y'all got hidden down there out for a joyride? Hahaha!"

I laugh, but she just stares at me as if I just hit the nail on the head or something. There's an awkward silence for a moment. Then she begins to laugh as she says,

"Haha, no silly... the spaceship is at our other facility west of here."

I just look at her and I honestly can't tell if she's messing with me or if she's serious.