Chapter 17

Leiloni's POV

Leiloni's POV

We were all standing here outside the auditorium watching it slowly being engulfed with raging fire as heatwaves brushed through my skin. The roof already collapsed revealing the blazing flames inside, emitting thick black smoke. But the thing that I can't get out of my mind is how we survived from that horde of monsters a while ago. They just passed through us without them attacking us and I know it's not luck at all. I know that I should be thankful that we're still alive but I just can't stop thinking about it.

"Hello?" Troy said answering a call from someone.

"Troy, good thing you answered my call. For some reason, I can't contact Kevin's phone. But good news! There are no monsters left here, we can finally get out of this school," a voice of a man said excitingly on the other side of the phone, it was Alexis. But after he mentioned Kevin I turned my attention back on the auditorium. If only I warned him sooner, he could've been still alive by now.

"Good, we'll be there in a minute," Troy said in monotone and ended the call. He looked at us with fear still painted on his face and told us that we should get going. All of us just nodded and started sprinting because it's already noon and we can't waste our time.

I just realized there are still a lot of things that we didn't know about those monsters. I have too many questions about them that are still left unanswered. But I want to know, I need to know.

As we arrived on the second floor of the main building, three happy faces have immediately greeted us.

"Did my plan work?" Alexis asked.

"Yeah... It worked, it worked too well," Lauren said with full of sadness and fear on her voice.

"Where's Kevin?" Kellie asked but all of us who knew what happened back there in the auditorium just looked at each other's faces.

"Did something happen?" Angel asked but we remained quiet.

Troy broke the deafening silence and finally told them what happened back there in the auditorium. The smile on their faces was changed with a frown and tears started to form on Kellie's eyes. Michael immediately hugged his sister as Kellie started sobbing.

"If only I warned him sooner, I could've saved him from that freaking monster," I said looking down as tears started to form into my eyes.

"No, none of this is anyone's fault okay, we can't do anything about it anymore," Troy said that made me look at him, "it already happened and all we need to do now is to get the hell out of here so that Kevin's sacrifice won't be put to nothing."

"He's got a point, the path is clear so we should really get going," Alexis agreed.

All of us started to pack our things to the school bus and there are really no monsters left. Michael and Elio are getting paler and weaker because we only have four hours left before sundown. After all of us got inside the school bus Troy immediately started driving and we were finally near the gate. The gate was closed so he commanded Audrey to open it and she did not hesitate to follow Troy's order. I noticed that Audrey is not that smart, but the thing that amazes me about her is that she's too brave and has a keen eye. She's the one who always notices first when there is a monster around us.