Sixth Obstacle: Two Places at Once, Part I

At the moment, you really, really, REALLY love your sister.

Who'd have thought you would find an ally in this mess?

Yes, that's right. She just agreed to pose as the queen for this one night.

You still feel kind of bad for ditching Ciel and running out like that, though. You run all the way back and arrive at the Phantomhive Manor, panting and out of breath.

Sebastian opens the door with a devious smile, you're almost certain you heard him laughing before he opened the door. "The Young Master was very worried about you, Lady [Name]."

"I..." Your mouth goes dry. "Am so sorry..."

"Quite all right, just follow me, and we won't even mention it." He puts a finger to his lips.

You blush slightly and walk through the rooms.

You are greeted by a red-headed maid with glasses. "Ah, Lady [Name], we'll get you all fixed up, oh yes we will. Mey-Rin, at your service."

"Ah...."

"Here you go, you can choose one of these, yes." She points to a vast, and I mean HUGE, array of various costumes.

"Oh, how cute!!!!" A high pitched voice shrieks.

You cringe and resist covering your ears.

"You must be [Name]! I'm Elizabeth, Ciel's cute fiancee!"

"F-f-fiance?" You stutter.

"Oh, hasn't he told you? We're going to be married as soon as we're old enough! Isn't it so cute?" She smiles widely.

"Oh.... no.... he hadn't...." You make an impressive effort to keep the emotions off of your face, disappointment, sadness, anger. What a fool I am, you facepalm. I didn't have a chance. As soon as he finds out what I've done, Ciel will kill me anyway. Literally.

"So, what are you gonna be?" Elizabeth asks. "I think I'll be one of those Natives from America again!"

"Ummm." You scan the costumes. There are animals, princesses, and kimonos, but not much that interests you. Suddenly your eyes fall upon a magnificent phoenix costume, in red and orange, with a beautiful feathered mask that hides your identity.

"SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Elizabeth declares.

"Hn."

"You look lovely, yes you do!" Mey-rin breathes.

"Thanks Mey-rin," you say.

Ah, shoot. You hadn't meant to be rude to Elizabeth, but she looked hurt.

For a moment you hope she just stays sad, as she seems to talk less... but you'll have to make it up to her later. She is........ a f t e r..... a l l......... t h e f u t u r e w i f e o f C i e l.........

You'll start freaking out when you're alone.

For now, you follow Elizabeth to the ballroom. Everyone glances up at the two of you before beginning to stare, but you can't tell who they're staring at. You smile nervously as you send a strained look at the Earl Phantomhive, dressed as a rather intriguing pirate.

But Ciel is more occupied with tending to the queen. You smile reassuringly at the lady behind the veil. She nods back. So far, so good.

Sebastian notices your pained look, and he also notices that you look absolutely stunning in your costume.

Aside from the occupants of the Manor and your sister, no one can tell who you are or even that you are at the ball. You, [Name], are the true center of attention for the guests.

Ciel stands and organizes the people to allow space for a dance floor. Of course, as custom dictates, he takes the first dance with the queen, the guest of honor.

You stand near the side, wishing your dress were less flamboyant, so you could blend into the walls.

"Helloooooo! Phoenix!" A voice says beside you. "Care to dance?"

You look up at a pair of beautiful hazel eyes and purple hair. "H-h-h-Hot!" You gasp, face red.

Ciel turns quickly at the sound of your voice.

A black cloaked figure nearby frowns underneath his silver mess of hair.

Sebastian scowls.

Alois and Claude, who just entered, stop stock still and begin to run towards you.

"Let me introduce myself," he says in his charming accent with a wink. "I am Soma, the Crown Prince of India."

You unconsciously hide behind your fan. "I'm [Name]," you reply. "And I'd love to dance."