Ninth Obstacle

You would have decided long ago that your little brush with death was merely a hallucination if it weren't for one thing.

Ever since that incident, you've been seeing suspicious green-eyed reapers with glasses and gardening equipment doing superhuman feats every time you walk outside. You've even started to recognize some.

You're always getting weird looks as you stare at the long-haired redheaded man leaping across the rooftops with a chainsaw, or go pale as you see the serious man plunging gardening pruners into a random woman's heart. Every time you see Ronald Knox and his lawn mower of doom, you blush and look away.

And right now, you're officially creeped out by the red-head as he over-excitedly slips into a meeting of the Parliament and takes a seat. With no notice from anyone else.

An hour in, you sit, dignifiedly yet boredly, on your throne above the delegates. You raise your eyebrow at the more and more excited Grim Reaper as he sweeps his eyes over the room.

"Some tea, your majesty?" Your stiff, proper butler asks. You close your eyes, nod silently and take a sip.

Something, some little force you can't explain, causes you to open your eyes to see the Baron Guisan leaning over a table of teacups with a vial. He retreats with a smirk and an unspoken challenge.

Of course, he still has you well within his blackmailed will.

You frown. "Ah, um..." You stutter. "You there!" You point towards a general group.

"Me?" they chorus, looking around.

You stand up. "Nobody drink their tea!" you demand.

The room settles into uneasy silence.

"With all due respect." The Baron Guisan stands ominously. "England is no longer the slave of the monarchy's bloodline. I shall drink my tea as I wish!"

He dramatically chugs his entire cup.

.....

"I second that!" Another man shouts. "To democracy!"

"Here here!" The shout resounds.

"The motion carries!" A particularly troublesome Duke raises a fist in the air.

The Baron grins.

The Duke's face wrenches terribly, and he clutches his heart and falls slowly to the ground.

The room goes fuzzy and you see in front of you two faces with the same expression, two innocent faces killed in cold blood.

And you see yourself, standing above them with a shotgun.

You used to pride yourself by only taking on assassinations that you personally agreed were for the benefit of humanity, but this job...

You begin gagging.

Why didn't you just shoot Baron Guisan the first time you saw him?

"Keh, ackgh," you choke.

"Excuse me Your Majesty, you shouldn't be in here," your butler whispers and begins leading you out.

"What... is that man doing...?" You point at the red-head as he cut through the air with his chainsaw, a strange light covering the area.

Your butler tugs you out of the room. "Wha-?"

You feel someone's arms wrap around your waist from behind you, and you stiffen, blushing furiously. "Ahaha, [Name], you should be more careful. You know.... normal humans can't see us Reapers~"

"Ronald Knox," the butler says from beside you in a low voice.

You turn sharply. "Y- Y....You aren't my Butler!!!!!!" You squeak.

"Oh?" His glasses catch the light and blind you, and you squint your eyes and stare into his.....

....Mesmerizing....

....Golden.....

....Eyes.....

"A-aren't you-"

"Claude Faustus, at your service," he says coldly.

Ronald tightens his arms and lays his head on yours. "Don't worry about him, [Name]. You've gone through so much already. I can help you forget about everything~"

"J-just leave me alone!" You push away from him.

"Yes, please do," Claude interjects. "I have some important business with [Name]."

"Psh, like I'm letting you get her."

"Well, I'm certainly not leaving her with you."

"Uh, guys?" You interrupt.

"I guess I'll just have to take her myself then!" Ronald grabs your hand and pulls you away.

"I'm sorry, Ronald, ..NOT....., but orders are orders, so I'll just be relieving you of [Name]." He picks you up bridal-style and begins to run away.

"No chance in h-" Ronald begins to chase the two of you.

"HELLO?!?!?!?!?!" You shout. "I'M NOT JUST SOME DOLL HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"My apologies, [Name]." Claude jumps onto the rooftops and flies off into the sunset, while you give up trying to get away and settle back. But you don't dare to close your eyes.

---------------

Wow, 65 votes!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1.5K reads!!!!! 10 comments!!!!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^