Chapter Five

"Are you sure you're fine?" my neighbor, Tracy, asked for about the twentieth time.

"I promise I am," I answered, not able to keep the exasperation from my voice. Calling her first was a mistake. I just figured that since she was my mother's best friend, she may know something. Of course, she ended up worried about me.

"So what happened again?"

"When I woke up this morning, she was gone. No note or text. I had no idea where she was so I thought she might be with you. I'll look somewhere else though," I said completely leaving out everything about the magical woman who tried to frame her then caused a storm that wouldn't let me leave. I also decided to leave out the part where I froze the woman and shattered her to pieces. Tracy wouldn't believe me if I had decided to try to make her believe magic was real anyway.

"That is very strange. Did you try calling her cell phone?"

"It's still here. But I'll be fine. I have to get to school," I said.

"Okay! If you need anything, just call," Tracy said, sincerity lacing her voice. It made me want to puke.

"Deal. Thanks."

I hung up the phone, and grabbed my backpack and started the half mile walk to school. As I stepped into the frigid October air, I wished I had worn more than a faded red tee-shirt and some old jeans.

If my mother was abducted, then the woman who was trying to frame her probably had accomplices. My guess was they were the ones who had my mother right now. Regardless, I still had faith that she was alive.

And why on earth did she want me to give her my powers? She clearly had her own that were working just fine. What was so special about mine?

As my feet carried me along the route I knew by heart, my mind drifted to other, less serious matters. Before I knew it, I was already at school.

I let out a long sigh before hoisting my backpack higher on my shoulder and entering the doors of the school. Among the many familiar faces of students and staff members, there was one man I had never seen before. He had a mild beard running up his jawbone, and amber eyes, with a hooked nose. That was strange. Nobody new ever showed up to my school. Or the town for that matter. The town was so small and remote that people would never go so out of their way. Which meant this man had a purpose for being here, and I could only hope that he wasn't here to take me.

As I pushed past him to get to my first period class when I felt a large hand placed on my shoulder. I turned. The man stared at me with his eyes, but said nothing.

I shrugged his hand off and began to walk off when a commanding voice boomed from him.

"Stop walking away."

I sighed and turned around, gaining a confidence I only got when adrenaline and magic mixed together and pulsed throughout my veins hand in hand.

"What?" The exasperation that I felt was not hidden in my voice.

"Come with me," he said in a much quieter voice. Many of the students and teachers who were bustling by had stopped to watch, but no one offered help. Not that I would have taken it had they did.

"And why would I do that?" I asked folding my arms and tapping my foot. He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion as if no one had ever denied him before. Judging by his muscular build and height, that was most likely true.

"Come with me right now," he repeated, anger lacing his voice this time. I smiled just to make him more mad.

"I would never do that," I said.

For a moment his face turned red with fury, but then a smug smile appeared on his face.

"Look, man, you need to stop," a voice rang out from behind me. I didn't notice what he was talking about until I looked a little closer. He had his hand balled into a fist, but only I knew what was going to happen next.

Here we go again.

~+ Uncontrollable +~

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Sorry it wasn't very entertaining and that it was so short! The next one will have far more action!

Thanks for reading and I hope you are all enjoying this book so far!