Chapter Eleven

"The base for war strategies?" I asked, shock resonating in my voice, my jaw hanging slightly open. I was slightly anxious to do this, thinking it might set off a whole other mission, and finding my mother would become a side thought, but I kept my mouth closed for the time being.

"Yes, Ryder. The base for war strategies," he said slowly as if he thought I didn't understand what 'war strategies' was.

"Grey, I get what war strategies is. But why? Is there some magical war brewing?" The worry I felt was evident in my voice. I did not want to get involved in some war; I just wanted to find my mother, and then be done with this stuff.

Grey's face turned dark. "No one can be sure, so don't go freaking out, but it is predicted that a war could be coming, so we made a base for war strategies."

"Well lets just hope that it isn't then," I answered, relaxing a bit. As long as this war wasn't like water about to boil over the edge of the pot, I was safe for now.

"Okay, lets go." Grey pulled open the hatch, but I stopped him.

"No, Grey. When am I going to be able to ask my questions? You keep saying later, but it looks to me like there won't be a time for them, because things will just keep coming up," I stated, my mind straying from just my mother. Exasperation laced my voice, and I could tell fury was strewn onto my face, because Grey looked taken aback, but then nodded.

"You're right, Ryder. Go ahead." He dropped the hatch to the war strategies bunker.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, relieved. "The first question I have to ask, is why were those people going after me? I mean why was it just me?"

"That one is tough for me to explain to you. But, in short, the reason that they were singling out just you is because you are a big threat to them. I can explain this bit to you more a bit later but you are a threat to them, and they want you as powerless as possible." Grey inhaled deeply.

I comprehended the answer. What made me so special? I chose my next question carefully, prioritizing my questions in my head in case we ran out of time.

"Why did all of this just start now? I mean, I've known about and used my magic since I was eight. Don't you think it's a bit weird that only just started?" This one had perplexed me for a while.

"That one is partially my fault. I was being far too obvious that I had taken an interest in you. I wasn't covering up tracks, and some of my random disappearances to the other side of the United States was a bit bizarre. And I'm sorry for that, but there is also more to it that isn't my doing it. Part of it, is this war that is potentially brewing. Since things are heating up, and they are on the opposing side of the war, I suppose that they wanted to take away your powers so that you couldn't influence the tide of the war."

"Wait a minute. What makes me so important? Why am I such a threat? How could I change the tides of a war? I'm just one person, most likely a minuscule number compared to the population of magic-wielders alive and involved in this. Why me?" The way that I was supposedly a big threat was beginning to bother me. I would make no difference if there truly was a war involving wizards. The whole chosen one thing only happens in movies.

"I can show you sometime later. It has to do with your families, and what you are able to do. Even just watching you perform magic was a privilege for me," Grey admitted, his cheeks tinting a light shade of red.

"But why? Could I really change the outcome of a war? What makes me so powerful and important?" I asked.

"Ryder, I know that you want to hear the answer no. I know that you don't want to be involved in a war. I know that all you want is to get your mom back, then resume life as usual. But that's not it. You are important, and powerful. And to be honest, yes, you could change the outcome of a war. Now lets go inside," Grey ordered, pulling open the hatch. The noise it made resembled nails being scratched across a chalkboard, sending shivers down my spine.