Chapter Forty-Three

My mind raced and my heart pumped. How did she know all the details to that encounter? I didn't tell anyone. That must mean that she knew something about the woman.

"Yeah, how the hell did you know that?" I asked shocked and unable to think of any other possibility than that she knew about the woman or the cell.

"I- I know about her," Vanessa said shakily, grabbing my hand and pulling me with her. I knew immediately that we were going toward the library.

"What do you mean? What do you know?" I asked as I caught up to her and matched her jogging pace as we proceeded toward the library.

"I know about her! I know how she got there and I know what her story is and I know why you got sent there. I'm glad that what Grey had planned didn't work!" Vanessa exclaimed, true glee filling her voice and glinting in her eyes like a shining star.

"This has to do with Grey?" I understood, even then, that he did a lot of scheming but did literally everything have to lead back to him? How did he even have time to do this while running a whole nation?

"Doesn't everything?" Vanessa responded with a laugh as we arrived at the large library doors. "I found this out while I was reading around in here and couldn't help but do some investigating. Although, I could never get into the cell myself-you can only get in when Grey allows you to-I was still able to find things out and because Grey and I are related I have an easier time snooping around. We used to be really close anyway; he told me basically anything I wanted if I acted like I agree with him."

The actions of their whole family tree was so twisted and ridiculous I found it hard to believe that Vanessa was so normal and didn't deceive anyone like the rest of her family. My mind raced back to when she talked about our kiss as a part of a plan and brought the letter Grey.

It was obvious that she was under Grey's spell. Her movements and actions weren't human; they were robotic and that's obvious. But, in order for Grey to have put her under that spell - if it worked the same way that it did with the spell that I was put under - then she would have had to agree to giving Grey updates in some form of letter or communication telling him everything. Why would you do that if you knew someone was so deceiving? It didn't make sense; the whole situation was illogical and high suspicious and I found myself wondering, after all of the betrayal I'd experienced in that past few weeks, if I could trust Vanessa.

"I suppose that has it's positives and it's negatives," I answered, pulling myself back to the conversation but reminding myself to still be cautious around Vanessa. I didn't have any secrets from anyone that would cause damage if they were found out, obviously, but if she was being suspicious, I was going to deal with it now.

"It really does have positives and negatives. It's hard to live like that, but damn, it's so nice to be able to find out information from such a powerful and deceiving person. Anyway," she said as we walked through the library and she sent a ball of light flying toward the ceiling, "this woman is someone who is being punished by Grey. She has been for many years and probably will never get out."

"So this cell . . . it's a punishment?" I asked, scrunching my eyebrows and following Vanessa as we weaved our way toward a bookshelf across the room.

"Yes, that's what I mean. Being stuck in that cell is her punishment for crossing Grey. I'm not sure exactly what she did, but I have a guess," Vanessa explained, walking through the aisles, fingering the spines of the books as we went to try to find the one that she wanted.

"Wait, do you mean that she is locked in there as well?" I asked, looking toward Vanessa.

"Yeah, she can't get out of that cell either." She found the book she wanted and bent down to look at it.