Chapter Eighteen: New Friends?

Connor's POV

Connor wanted to tell Tasha how he felt, more than anything, but he didn't know how to express it out loud. Honestly, he didn't know how to express the thoughts let alone speak them.

Connor stayed with her every night. He made the excuse in his head that it was crucial to his mission, but in reality he just needed to be with her. It helped ease his mind when he knew she was safe, in his arms, and just maybe he enjoyed it, though he'd never admit it to her...

It had been almost three weeks since Tasha had been discharged, she was back working and everything was seemingly normal. She went to therapy a few times a week, and while she rarely spoke on it, it seemed to cheer her up. Connor kept a close eye on her, and would analyze her more than usual — when she'd catch him doing so, rather than become annoyed she seemed appreciative.

Word had spread of Tasha's incident, and the other officers had been very helpful and kind towards Tasha. Even Gavin had been kinder than, well than Connor has ever seen Gavin be to anyone, let alone her.

"Hey Tasha," Gavin had gone up to her desk, an expression on his face Connor could only describe as... regret?

Tasha looked up, sceptical at the man. "Gavin." She greeted him neutrally as she looked back at her screen.

"Can I talk to you?"

"I haven't told you to go away, so talk." Tasha replied, not looking up from her screen.

Gavin moved so he was leaning against her desk. "I wanted to... apologize for my behaviour."

Tasha glanced up, "You, apologizing?" Tasha scoffed, "Never thought I'd see that happen."

Gavin's frown lightened slightly as he looked at her, "I didn't know you were going through a rough time. I say a lot of crap to you but it's because I like you — you're a great detective and a beautiful little lady." He smiled, and for once it didn't come off as creepy, but rather a kind, genuine smile. "I just... I'm sorry if what I said pushed you to..." Gavin trailed off, looking away from her. "I'm sorry. Okay? And I want you to know that I am here for you. I enjoy our... arguments."

Tasha stared at Gavin for a while, taking in his words. "Gavin..." She smiled softly as she looked up at him. "I forgive you. And I don't expect things to change between us — I wouldn't have it any other way." She admitted, laughing. "But I appreciate your apology. I didn't know you thought so highly of me."

"You're not just a pretty face." Gavin smirked, getting off her desk. "But I mean it, anything you need, I got your back, alright?"

Tasha nodded, "Sure, Gavin." Smiling as he nodded at her, walking back to his own desk.

"That was... weird." She said after Gavin was out of earshot, looking over to Hank and Connor who were both staring and clearly had been eavesdropping.

"Weird isn't the word I'd use." Hank snorted, shaking his head. "You actually believin' the bullshit he said?"

Tasha shrugged, "I don't know. He seemed genuine, right?"

"He was telling the truth." Connor spoke up from his desk, looking over at Tasha. He didn't seem happy by any means, but he wanted her to know that Gavin was telling the truth, even if he didn't like the man.

Tasha blinked a few times. "Well, I guess that settles it then." She smiled at Connor before turning back to Hank.

"You gonna start pining after Gavin now? Because I ain't putting up with him any more than I have to now."

"That would be unpleasant." Connor said, not looking at Tasha.

"God, Hank... can you let me enjoy the one moment where Gavin isn't being a douche?" Tasha laughed, "No, I don't like Gavin that way, not at all really, but after everything — I don't need negativity alright? Don't worry I think we'll be back to hating each other in no time." Tasha rolled her eyes as she went back to her work.