Chapter Fourty-Four: Together, or Never at All

Tasha's POV

I'm lucky this motorcycle runs by itself.

I held onto the handlebars tight as the automobile sped through the city. Luckily, all of the cops were worried about androids, not human girls on motorbikes.

I didn't want to leave Connor. On the contrary I would've gave anything to stay by his side. But I had this feeling in my chest that Markus needed my help — what kind of friend would I be if I ignored my gut instinct to keep myself safe?

When I was a few blocks away from the barricade, I ditched the bike to look less conspicuous and walked towards the group of Deviants in the middle of the road.

"Tasha!" Markus called out to me, running to meet me at the edge of the barricade

"Tasha!" Markus called out to me, running to meet me at the edge of the barricade. "Are you insane? What are you doing here?!"

"I wanted to help. Markus — Connor did it!" I explained, unable to hide my smile. "He's on his way with all the androids from CyberLife tower. If we can hold off the army until then..."

"Does Connor know you're here?"

"Um... well, that's the thing... I may have stolen a motorcycle to get here before he did... Now are you gonna help me over this thing before the cops start firing at me?" I nodded my head over to the soldiers who had their guns pointed at me. "I don't think they know I'm human."

"Dammit, Tasha." Markus reached his hand out, helping me over the barricade. "You shouldn't have come here."

"Markus is right." North shook her head in disapproval at me. "We can handle ourselves, you're—"

"I know, I know, I'm a fragile human. I get it. You can't get rid of me that easily." I wrinkled my nose in defiance as I grabbed my pistols from my holsters. "It won't be long until they start firing..."

"How long until Connor gets here?"

I froze for a moment, looking down at the ground.

"Too long." I admitted. "It's... he's too far away to help us. We have to do this ourselves."

It was in that moment the soldiers threw grenades our way.