Chapter Twenty-One: Firestarter

When Connor asked me on a date, we didn't specify when or what, just that we would go on a date. Connor began freezing up whenever he was alone with me, and his LED would turn yellow more often than it usually would.

"Have you ever seen an Android nervous like this?" I asked Hank quietly as Connor went to get him a new cup of coffee.

"He's lovesick because of you," Hank smirked, "He's a great detective but his control over his emotions are slim to none."

I sighed, frowning slightly. "I don't want him to be nervous — it's adorable, don't get me wrong, I just..."

"You're nervous too."

I nodded, "I haven't dated anyone since I was sixteen... let alone someone like Connor."

Hank sighed, "Look, it won't be easy for either of you, but for months now you've both been chasing each other — it's time for you two to sort this shit out."

As Connor walked back over, he sat the coffee cup by Hank, turning to look at me.

"Would you like to go for dinner after our shift today?"

I blinked a few times, "Y-yeah. I'd love that."

Connor smiled, taking his seat at his desk. "Where would you like to go?"

I hummed softly, "I don't know, I'm not very picky—"

"Hey, there's been an android spotted in the plaza district that might be deviant." Chris came up to us, setting the file on my desk.

I sighed, scrunching up my nose as I opened the file. "Okay. Thanks, Chris."

"Looks like we've got work to do."

•••

I hummed softly as we looked through the deserted apartment — we heard a commotion, and could only assume the Android was still somewhere hold up in the room. "I mean, this android can't have just evaporated into thin air."

In the bathroom there were carvings on each of the walls, all repeating the same word.

"RA9." I clicked my tongue as I examined the writings on the wall. "What is it with the deviants being obsessed with RA9?" I thought aloud, catching Connor's attention.

"What?"

"Nothing." He smiled slightly as he turned back to the wall, analyzing it. "You're adorable when you work."

"Adorable? That's a word I never thought I'd hear you say." I smiled at his compliment. "You're pretty hot when you do your job," I retorted, smiling when I saw his tiny smirk turn into surprise.

"Maybe it's their leader?" I narrowed my brows as I kept investigating the room. "I mean, fanatics are known to obsessively write things."

"Maybe." Connor said, turning to look at me. "You're a good detective."

I blushed, smiling up at him. "Thanks, you know—"

"Can you two quit flirting and do your job?"

I sighed in frustration as I turned to Hank, who was staring at us both disapprovingly. "I was just going to say Connor is a really good detective. At least we're examining shit! You're just standing there!"

I noticed Connor had moved to analyze the chair that had fallen over. "What do you see?"

"The deviant didn't leave." Connor pushed open the attic door to reveal the Android, pushing Connor out of his way as he ran out of the room.

I immediately followed the deviant, Connor quickly catching up and passing me due to his android speeds.

As they jumped on the train, I knew there would be no way I'd make that jump.

Maybe I can cut him off?

Connor's POV

Connor, being an Android, was the fastest out of the three of them. Tasha was faster than most humans, and managed for the most part to keep up.

As Connor spotted the deviant once more, he noticed Tasha had cut off his exit. It was like time slowed down in that moment one moment. Connor watched as the deviant and Tasha fought. Tasha was good, for a Human, and was able to disarm the deviant — but she wasn't fast enough. His whole body went cold as he watched the deviant grab Tasha's leg hard, causing her to let out a scream as he shoved her off the side of the building.

13% chance of survival.

There was no hesitation as Connor ran to Tasha, allowing the deviant to escape because in that moment, his mission wasn't to catch the deviant anymore; it was to save her.

Tasha held onto the ledge, crying out in pain. Connor grabbed onto her arm, pulling her up as fast as he could and pulling her away from the ledge.

Tasha fell against his body, sobbing uncontrollably. "I-I'm Sorry! It's my fault he got away."

"You're damaged." Connor ignored her words, focussing only on making sure she was alright. His LED had faded from red to yellow. Connor moved her so he could analyze her wounds. "I need to set your leg back in place. It won't be pleasant."

"Just — just do it, please, Connor." Tasha nodded, tears still falling down her face as Hank caught up to them. "What the fuck happened to you?"

"That stupid deviant pushed me off the roof!" Tasha let out a scream as Connor set her knee back in place, letting out a small, relieved breath as the pain began to fade slightly. "If Connor hadn't grabbed me when he did—"

"It's my fault the deviant got away," Connor told Hank, helping Tasha up to her feet. "If I was faster—"

"Tasha would be dead if it weren't for you." Hank said, a relieved sort of smile on his face.

Connor noticed Tasha's leg began to bruise, "It's not broken. Does it hurt?"

Tasha forced a smile, but Connor could tell it was forced and he gave her a look which read don't lie to me.

Tasha sighed, nodding. "It hurts like a bitch."

"I'm sure Connor will carry you to the car." Hank snorted, turning away from the couple as he walked in the direction of his car.

"Hey! I'm not a damsel in distress, I can walk—"

Tasha tried to stand up, her bad leg giving out causing Connor to reach out and hold her.

"Are you sure you're not damsel in distress?" Connor joked lightly, causing Tasha to smile slightly.

"You're learning to joke, that's cute." Tasha sighed as she grabbed onto his shoulders. "Can you... please help me to the car?"

Connor knew she hated to ask for help, so when she did he couldn't help but smile softly at her. He lifted her up into his arms with ease, walking towards the car. "You're far too reckless."

"That's one of my loveable traits, darling."

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please leave scene suggestions you'd like to see me write and add to the story!