CyberLife Chapter Fourty-Three: The Final Hour

Tasha's POV

Watching Connor leave was like a knife stabbing into my heart over and over again. I knew he was doing the right thing.

Then why do I feel so miserable?

I let out a sigh as I walked out of the room, North giving me a small smirk when she noticed me.

"What were you two doing in there?"

I felt my face get hot as I looked away. "Nothing."

"That didn't sound like nothing." She had a knowing smile on her face as she interlocked her arm with mine.

Her smile is adorable, I'll give her that.

"Were you spying on me, creep?" I teased, shoving her side playfully.

"Ew, who do you think I am?" North laughed, letting me go. "I think everyone heard you two! You weren't being exactly quiet."

I blushed.

"North!"

Simon had called her over, causing me to be alone once more.

Great.

As I walked by one of the pues I noticed a girl with dark black hair, holding a little girl's hand.

The Android from the highway?

Could it be?

Ax-400?

What was her name?

I tried to recount the time I had tried to chase her... the little had screamed out to her. "Kara!"

I approached them slowly, unsure how they'd take to my presence.

"Kara?"

She looked at me with a startled expression, holding onto the girl tighter.

"It's okay!" I smiled at her, kneeling down in front of them. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"You chased us on the highway." She said as she looked down at me, an unreadable expression on my face.

"Yes, I did." I frowned, "I'm sorry for my part in all of this — I was just trying to protect the one that I love."

She smiled at that, the little girl also glancing at me. I reached into my pocket, handing her whatever money I had on me and a card with my number on it.

"I know it's not much, but maybe it'll help you get where you're going."

I stood, going to turn around but was stopped when a smaller hand grabbed mine. I glanced down at the little girl who wrapped her arms around my waist. "Thank you."

"What's your name?" Kara asked, smiling at the two of us.

"Tasha." I told her, letting go of the girl.

"I'm Alice."

"It's very nice to meet you, Alice."

"Thank you." Kara said, I nodded, turning towards Markus.

I can't let Connor do this on his own.

I can help.

I will help.

"I'm going after Connor."

I turned my back to him almost immediately after I finished speaking, but was stopped mid step as a hand wrapped around my arm.

"Markus... let me go." I warned, glancing over at him with a serious expression.

Markus didn't loosen his grip, "Do you want to get yourself killed? I told Connor I'd look after you."