Chapter 4: Bad Day

The whole night, I tossed and turned. Even though I was absolutely exhausted from the last bit of packing, I couldn’t sleep. I just kept thinking about Wyatt.

Why did he hold on tighter when people starting talking about us? And he looked so angry, the only time I ever saw him look like that was at lunch when he was glaring at my friends.

Finally I managed to sleep, but it felt as if as soon as I closed my eyes I had to wake up for school. And when I woke up, I could tell it was going to be a very bad day.

 First of all, I woke up late.

Second of all, not only did I look like a zombie with my hair all messy and tangled, my tanned skin pale, but I had bruises under my eyes making me look almost haunted. I looked horrible. I supposed it was to match how I felt inside. Absolutely dreadful.

When I went down to eat breakfast, I realized that there was no more toast or cereal or any breakfast food. Not like I had time to eat anything anyways.

When I went to the bathroom, there was no toilet paper. When I looked in the cabinet, I found some, but I also found pads. Which made me stop and think for a moment. I started to calculate mentally and tried to remember last time I was on my period. I finally realized that I hadn’t gotten my period since I turned sixteen.

 My birthday had been in August and it was now November. Roughly three months since I last had my period. Which was strange since my period was always on time.

 I suddenly remembered when I woke up the morning of my sixteenth birthday. I had just gotten my period. It had been on time, just like usual. But as the day went on I slowly started to feel sick. My whole body started to feel sore and while I was covered in sweat, I was absolutely frozen.

Time passed and then suddenly all the pain I felt intensified and reached a point of blinding agony. I had spent the whole week in bed in absolute pain. Everything hurt and I had a fever. A doctor came and checked me over, but couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me. I was, technically speaking, completely healthy. But in reality, something was very very wrong.

After a whole week of excruciating pain, I had suddenly felt wonderful. Like I was on top of the world. I felt strong, as if I could do anything. Nobody really knew what was wrong with me, but I wasn’t quite bothered by it. In fact, I had nearly forgotten about it until now. I had just been relieved to get better that I hadn't pondered what had made me so sick.

When I had been lying sick in bed I had forgotten all about my period, so when Ivy helped me go to the bathroom the first night, I checked and it had just stopped. Just like that.

I bit down on my lower lip, not quite sure whether or not I should be worried.

“Lila! Come on! We’re going to miss the bus!” Ivy shouted.

Forgetting about my girl problems for the moment, I ran down the stairs, slipped on my boots, grabbed my coat and bag and ran down the street after Ivy.

********

“Wow, Lila. You look like crap,” Jared said.

It was lunch time already and I was glad. It meant the day was half over.

“Gee thanks, Jared.” I yawned and I felt my jaw crack.

Mirah stared at me. “You definitely need a nap.”

“A nap would not be good enough. I need to sleep for a week,” I moaned, laying my head down on the slightly disgusting cafeteria table.

I closed my eyes and sighed. Mmmm, a nap did sound pretty good. Maybe I’d take a nap when I got home…