Chapter 42: Lovely

As exhausted as I was I couldn’t sleep. I was restless, longing to run around but too tired to do so. Besides, it’d be kind of weird if I went running around the neighborhood at 3 AM on a Monday morning.

Oh yeah, I’d been in that hell hole all of Friday evening, Saturday, and until Sunday late at night.

I shuddered at the thought of being gone for so long, but thankfully my pack had told my dad that I was staying over at Dakota’s house for a few days while they searched for me.

When I had asked them how they knew I was missing, they told me that Wyatt came to Dakota’s door looking like he was about to lose his mind as he tried to explain that I had been taken. I was curious as to how Wyatt knew I had been taken, hell, I was curious about a lot of things, but I wouldn’t be able to ask Wyatt for a while…that is if he was still talking to me.

Since Matt and Jared had to go home, their parents were already mad that they hadn't been home for the past few days while they had relatives over, they left while I showered. So that left Mirah, Dakota and myself alone in Dakota’s house. Apparently, Dakota’s parents had gone on vacation the week or so before Christmas break but were coming back tomorrow afternoon. Her older brother was staying at a friend’s house while their parents were away so there was no one to disturb us.

After my shower, we’d gone downstairs and they fixed me up something to eat. I didn’t eat much, I didn’t know why but I didn’t have much of an appetite. But I ate anyways so they wouldn’t worry about me. I drank as much water as possible since that was definitely something I needed. My throat still felt slightly dry and hoarse, but it was much better than before. I didn’t do much talking once I got there. I simply asked questions and let them talk.

I even dared to ask if they still hated Wyatt. They both looked a little uncomfortable and had told me that they didn’t hate him, but they didn’t like him much either. They were, however, very grateful to him for helping to find me and…dispose of Caleb…so that definitely earned him some brownie points with my pack. Even if it did frighten them that he had been able to get rid of Caleb seemingly so easily.

Mirah asked me about what happened in the cave, but I only shook my head, refusing to even go near the topic. Neither of them brought it up again.

But now, in the darkness, listening to their peaceful breathing while they slept, the memories crashed over me like a wave.

I longed for sleep, but I couldn’t get comfortable with all my injuries so I was stuck lying flat on my back like a corpse. And even that was painful. I had several large bruises going right across my back from slamming into the floor and getting hit by Caleb.

So I stared blankly at the ceiling, frustrated. I tried to think of something else to get my mind off the pain, and the only thing that popped up was worse than the physical pain I felt from Caleb.

Wyatt.

My stomach twisted just at the thought of him. The only thing I had said to him was ‘thank you’. I felt so bad for hurting him, for slamming him into a tree and running away, for putting him through everything that’s been happening the past month or so, and even the past few days must have been hell for him as well.

After thinking about him for another five minutes I grew so restless that I couldn’t take it anymore. I threw off my sheets and crept as silently as I could on my bad ankle, searching for my bag in the darkness. I found it and pulled out a pair of jogging pants and a sweater.

I longed for Wyatt’s hoodie, but I was glad they hadn’t found that. They would have asked why I had his clothes hanging around and I preferred not have to lie to them anymore than I already had.