Chapter 38: Five and Five

Today may have been the last day before the holidays, but instead of relaxing we had to finish the last of our Christmas exams. That meant that I had to focus 100% on my exams, but with Wyatt’s words being stuck in my head all day, I found it hard to pay attention.

But once first period was over and I finished my math exam, Wyatt was the furthest thing from my mind. The only thing on my mind for the better part of my morning was basically anything and everything that had to do with math and history. My brain was swirling around all the information and by the time lunch came around, the stress at having to finish everything today and the information crammed into my skull, on top of the fact I had a psycho murderer after me, just gave me a splitting headache.

I was incredibly relieved when lunch came around. I had almost an hour to just sit, relax, eat, chat with my friends, and hope to God my headache went away.

At least, I was hoping to just sit, relax, eat, chat with my friends and will my headache away until I saw Wyatt sitting with his coven. That just made me think of this morning, and how I had to meet him after school. The reminder made my brain buzz even more, and the stress I had suddenly been feeling just made me panic. What if he wanted to tell me we couldn’t continue this being…what ever we were anymore? What if this was all just a practical joke to hurt me?

All those thoughts were darting around in my mind, making me feel dizzy as I all but fell into my seat at the lunch table.

Everyone looked up at me in surprise, “Jeez, what happened to you?” Mirah asked bluntly.

“School happened,” I muttered, rubbing my temples as I closed my eyes.

Jared chuckled, “Well no kidding.”

“I agree,” Dakota groaned, “Exams are totally killing me.”

“You guys are such wusses,” Matt said, and I opened my eyes to glare at him.

“Bite me,” I hissed at him before closing my eyes again.

“Someone’s testy," Jared teased.

There was a long pause before Jared burst out laughing. “Get it? Testy? Tests? Exams? Testy?” He said, still guffawing away at his own joke.

I opened my eyes and we all turned to glare at him.

“So not funny,” Mirah said, punching his arm.

Jared abruptly stopped laughing and sighed, “I know.”

“You know you’re in trouble when Jared starts making jokes that aren’t funny,” Matt said dryly, brushing his brown hair out of his eyes.

Jared groaned in response, “I can’t wait till this is over. Then I can sleep in and eat a whole bunch of food for the next two weeks.”

“Amen to that,” Mirah agreed, nodding her head.

I sighed, folding my arms on the table and leaned my head on them, “I don’t even care about eating,” I yawned, “As soon as I get home I’m going straight to my room to take a nice hot, bubble bath and then I’m going to bed.”

After I meet with Wyatt, and possibly sleep with him again tonight, I added mentally. I felt a smile light up my face at the thought of Wyatt.

“Ditto,” Dakota added with a yawn. We all spent the remainder of the lunch hour discussing how we were going to spend our Christmas holidays and how we were going to be lazy slobs during the times when there were no family/friend parties or anything.

I wondered vaguely if I was going to see Wyatt over the holidays, and made a mental note to ask him after school today.