Chapter 11: K-I-S-S-I-N-G

“Uhhhh,” I moaned, squeezing my eyes shut against the sunlight streaming into Claire’s window.

“Why so bright?” Ivy asked, sounding just as gruff and exhausted as I did.

“Sun,” Claire groaned in reply.

I buried my face into Claire’s fluffy pink rug. “Turn it off."

“You turn it off,” Claire retorted.

“You’re closer.”

“So?”

“You’d be able to reach it using the least amount of energy out of the three of us,” I explained groggily.

“I don’t think I even have enough energy to make it to the window and back,” she whined.

With another groan, I sat up. My head spun dizzily, and I put a hand to my head as if that would stop the spinning. “Ow."

I squinted against the sun before crawling across the floor, around Claire and Ivy, until I reached the window. I peeked out to see a bright and beautiful sunny day, the snow outside sparkling all pretty.

“Guys, it’s so pretty,” I said dreamily, leaning on the window sill to look out on the peaceful morning. Ivy crawled up beside me and Claire crawled up on my other side to see.

“It’s so beautiful,” they said together in awe. I chuckled. They looked so impressed at the snow outside that it made me giggle.

“Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me. Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you crying just for me.”

I cocked my head at the song, wondering where it was coming from.

“Oh! My phone!” I cried, scrambling across the floor towards it.

“Let me hear you make decisions, without your television. Let me hear you speaking just for me.” My phone continued to ring.

I dove across the floor, grabbed it, flipped over on to my back as I hit the talk button and put my cell against my ear.

“Hello?” I answered breathlessly.

“Lila? Are you okay?” I heard Matt’s familiar voice ask.

“I’m fine, just a little….out of breath,” I explained, chuckling at myself for diving for my cell phone. Ivy and Claire were watching me from the window with arched eyebrows.

"Is that Wyatt?" Ivy mouthed. I shook my head furiously, motioning for her to keep quiet. No way could Matt hear her ask that question. That would raise some serious red flags.

“Um….okay. What’s up?” he asked, and I could tell he was afraid to ask why I was so breathless.

“Nothing much. I’m at Claire’s house with Ivy.”

“Cool, are you busy later? Or are you still going to be at Claire’s place?” he asked, sounding hopeful.

I scrunched up my face as I thought, “I don’t think I’m busy later, why?”

“Um…I was wondering if you wanted to go see a movie?” he phrased it like a question, sounding nervous.

“Sure, what movie?”

“I don’t know. What movie do you want to see?”

“Hmmm, Avatar looks good,” I said, twirling a strand of my messy, tangled hair around my finger until it got stuck.

“Then we’ll see that, so I’ll pick you at six thirty?” he asked.

Ivy was waving her arms franctically at me, and I missed what Matt just said. “Matt, can you wait a sec?”