Chapter 34: Mirror

“No, Grandma, I swear I’m fine,” I protested as she kissed my forehead.

“You are not fine. You are sick and you are staying home,” she said, patting my hand.

“But Grandma!” I argued, but I knew it was a losing battle. From the moment I woke up, I spent most of the day cowering on the bathroom floor, too afraid to stand up and walk past the mirror after last night’s unpleasant incident. And since I was so sick every time I thought about him, I had spent a large portion of the day worshipping my toilet bowl, even if I had nothing in my stomach to vomit. Which, after maybe the third or fourth time I threw up, my stomach was sufficiently emptied.

Everyone was convinced it was just a nasty stomach flu, but I knew better. I couldn’t get sick, so any type of flu was out of the question. But oh, how I longed for it just to be the flu and not fear and disgust that made me hurl a dozen of times today.

“No ‘buts’, pup. You’re not coming to the airport when you’re sick,” she said firmly, her blue eyes piercing mine.

“Grandma, I hardly get to see you. And I’m feeling much better now!” I said, forcing a smile.

“Pup,” Grandma said softly, “You need rest so stay home. I promise I’ll call you as soon as I land, alright?”

I sighed in frustration. I didn’t want to be left home alone. Not after last night. He was getting bolder, and I knew exactly what he meant last night when he said it wasn’t a joke. It was a game.

Cat and mouse. He was the cat and I was the mouse. Predator and prey. I knew he enjoyed the thrill of the kill, but he also enjoyed the fear of his prey before they died. And I was sure that I would be his best kill. Especially after all the trouble he went through for the past few weeks just to scare me, drive me crazy and mess with my mind.

I chewed my lip, “Grandma…”I pleaded, giving her my best puppy dog look.

She shook her head at me, “Nuh uh. That doesn’t work on me,” she said, kissing my forehead again before standing up. “I love you, my little wolf,” she said, smiling warmly at me.

“I love you too, Grandma,” I sighed, adjusting my position on the bathroom floor since one of my feet had fallen asleep.

She blew me a kiss before leaving, and I leaned my arms on the toilet seat, feeling too exhausted to care about being unhygienic at that moment. I listened to her footsteps recede, and continued to listen as I heard the car start and drive down the street.

I listened until I couldn’t hear anymore, and then I started to cry. I didn’t want to be left alone. Not tonight and not ever. He was coming for me, and he was coming for me soon, and by the sudden twist in my stomach I knew I was right.

I felt my stomach suddenly heave uselessly as I leaned over the toilet bowl, but there was nothing left. I was empty, a shell, nothing more and nothing less. He had reduced me to this, this sniveling pathetic excuse for a werewolf; hiding out in her bathroom, crying and throwing up in fear, completely alone. Completely vulnerable. Completely for his taking.

“I hope you’re happy,” I croaked bitterly to no one, my whole figure shaking as sobs wracked my chest. “You’ve done it. You’ve succeeded. You broke me.”

I took a shuddering breath, backing away from the toilet bowl so I sat against my bathroom wall, knees pulled up to my chest, arms wrapped around my knees as I rocked myself back and forth.

“I’m scared,” I whispered, “And alone.” I shook my head, feeling another sob burst through my lips. “So just kill me already. I’m done!” I shouted, my voice echoing around the tiny bathroom.