Chapter 33: Winter Dance

My stomach was churning with nerves as Ivy finished with my hair.

“Tada!” She said, “Wait! Don’t open your eyes yet! Put on the dress first so this way you can see the finished product!”

I sighed, keeping my eyes shut as I let Ivy lead me out of her bathroom.

“Okay, open your eyes,” she said, and I opened my eyes. She tossed my dress at me and I caught it swiftly. She turned around as I pulled off the robe she lent me and pulled on the dress.

Once I had it on she turned around and pushed me forward towards one corner of her room where she had a full length mirror.

I gaped at myself. The dress was amazing. It was black (my favorite), and had two slim straps holding it up. It went slightly lower cut than I was used to, but it wasn’t so low cut that it was inappropriate. There was a small strap that went around right under my cleavage, and the dress clung to my body loosely from the strap. The dress fell until my halfway down my calf in the back while in the front it hung closer to my knees. I looked up to study my face and my hair.

 Ivy had curled my long brown hair beautifully, making my hair look shiny and pretty instead of its usual wild mess. I shook my head, watching as the curls bounced.

She hadn’t put on a lot of make up, just enough to cover the bruises starting under my eyes from not sleeping for the past three nights. She put eyeliner and eye shadow, and it made my wide green eyes pop even more than usual and had given me a pale pink lip gloss that, thank the Lord, wasn’t sticky.

I twirled, watching as my curls bounced and the dress twirled around my legs.

I laughed. “Ivy you are a goddess!” I said, hugging her.

She herself looked like quite a knock out, her blonde hair straightened and she had pulled back the top parts of her hair with a pretty clip, leaving her bangs down to cover half of her face. She was wearing a strapless red dress that went down to her knees. The bra part had fabric that came down in the center all the way to the bottom of the dress. She’d slicked on some red lipstick to match her dress, and I knew for sure the guys were going to be swooning just at the sight of her.

She laughed, “I know I am. But come on, we’re going to be late!” She said, taking my hand as we ran downstairs, shoes and purses in hand.

“Oh!” Grandma gasped, looking up at us from the bottom of the stairs. “There are going to be some hearts broken tonight!” she said, whistling at us.

Dad walked in and stopped abruptly, his mouth falling open. “You girls…you look beautiful,” he said, looking us over with a smile.

“Beautiful? These girls are gorgeous!” Grandma protested and we laughed.

“You guys can argue all you want, but we have to go!” Ivy said, putting her shoes on.

I pulled on the strappy black heels Ivy lent me as a car honked outside.

We both gave Grandma and Dad a kiss on the cheek. “Goodbye!” We called, pulling on our coats as we hurried out the door without even waiting for a response.

Matt was waiting for us outside with Dakota. I slid into the front seat while Ivy sat in the back with Dakota.

“Wow, you guys clean up well,” Matt remarked as he drove off to school.

I chuckled, “You’re not so bad yourself,” I said, eyeing his tux.

Winter Dance called for formal dress, but that didn’t stop most people from coming. Apparently, dances at this school were super popular.