Chapter 26: A Friend

Wyatt decided to follow through with his threat about halfway through dinner.

There was a knock on the door and we all paused mid-conversation, trying to think of who might be coming over. After a moment I got up to answer it and when I opened the door I was shocked.

“Wyatt!” I hissed, “What the hell?”

He smirked at me, “Is that any way to treat a guest?”

“Guest? Since when were you invited?” I sputtered.

“Invited? I thought I was always welcome,” he said, leaning against my door frame.

I ground my teeth together. Technically speaking he was right. “Well, you’re not welcome now!”

“Lila, who’s there?” Grandma asked, walking up from behind me.

“Oh, hello there,” she said, giving Wyatt a warm smile.

I shot Wyatt a venomous look, “Wyatt this is Grandma, Grandma this is my…friend Wyatt.”

Wyatt took my Grandma’s hand and kissed it like an old fashioned gentleman, “It’s nice to meet you.”

“A friend, eh?” Grandma asked, raising her eyebrow as she grinned at me. I saw her looking between Wyatt and I.

“Yes, a friend,” I enunciated slowly, and I saw something flash across Wyatt’s face when I glanced at him, but it was gone in an instant.

“I’m sorry if I was interrupting anything,” he said, giving her a sincere look…which was total B.S. “But I really need to discuss something with Lila.”

“I see,” Grandma said, nodding. “Don’t take too long,” she warned me, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively before walking off.

Wyatt grabbed my arm and yanked me roughly out of my house, closing the door behind me and pinning me against the side of my house.

“Wyatt! What the hell?” I growled, struggling against his firm hold on me.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, letting go of my wrists and stepping back. He turned around so I couldn’t see his face while I rubbed my wrists gingerly.

“Wyatt, what’s wrong?” I asked quietly after a moment.

“Nothing.”

“Yeah sure,” I said sarcastically.

He spun around, his silver eyes flashing, “You were right, Lila.”

“Wait…what?” I frowned in confusion as Wyatt began to pace across the width of my porch in front of me.

“You were right when you said he never left town,” he explained briefly before continuing his pacing.

“Who never left town?” I asked, even more confused than before.

Him,” Wyatt said impatiently, “The psycho living in the forest.”

“Okay…” I said slowly, still slightly confused. I mean, I knew who he was talking about, but I didn’t understand what was so important now.

“Wait…how do you know he never left town?” I asked, feeling my jaw lock in place. “You didn’t do something stupid, did you?”

“No. This morning after I left you I could smell that…thing’s scent all over your window and the outside of your house,” he shook his head furiously and paused in his pacing to look to at me.

“What!?” I practically shouted, before lowering my voice so we wouldn’t be heard, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

He looked down at his feet, “I wanted to be sure before I started to worry you. So I went back to the forest and found that same scent.”