Chapter 19: Rattled

After I finished reading Wyatt’s note, I hurried downstairs to make an early dinner for Ivy and I. We had pasta, and as soon as I finished eating and doing the dishes I sprinted up the stairs. I took a shower and brushed my teeth thoroughly while listening to 'Take It Off' by Ke$ha.

I tossed Wyatt’s clothes in the wash, and flopped down onto my bed while I listened to music, trying to ease my nerves with song.

“You're pulling out your teeth, and I'm the Novocain you pump in your cheeks. That’s why I'm still around, you've got blood running down your chin.” 

“But you suffered peacefully. She was a termite eating away at my roots. I was just a lost soul, who needed a home. I was filling a void with you.” I finished folding the laundry, and put it all in a basket to bring upstairs.

“And I, I can't, can't wait 'til you see, see, seen what death and disgust have done to me. And I spent three years wishing for two things, that one day you'd break and I'd get to see how all the choices you made would drive you insane. I wish we never met,” I continued to sing along with the phone that was playing loudly in the pocket of my jogging pants.

I kicked my door open and started putting away clean clothes, most of which was black and varying dark colors. Laundry was pretty easy for me at least. I had nothing against flashy colors, they were pretty, but it was attention getting and I really preferred to blend in.

“As angry as I sound that’s just the way I cover up the way I feel. I've been that way for years and years; a slave to broken hearts and sex appeal," I tossed in my underwear, making an even bigger mess of my undergarment drawer than usual.

“Mmmm, sexy,” someone said.

I whirled around, a pair of black lacey underwear still in my hands. My jaw dropped and I stared, feeling color flood my cheeks.

His silver eyes glanced down to my underwear, and he arched an eyebrow. “Nice panties,” he commented.

“Wyatt!” I hissed, tossing the underwear in my drawer, slamming it shut so hard it sounded like a gun shot. “Why are you sneaking up on me?” I asked, annoyed but internally relieved to see him.

“I wasn’t sneaking,” he said, leaning up against the wall next to the window, “I figured you smelled me, or at least saw me when you came in.”

I made a face at him for a moment before exhaling deeply and relaxing my body, “Sorry.”

He smirked at me, “It’s okay, your underwear made up for it.”

I stomped across the room and slapped him on the arm as hard as I could. A look of pain crossed his face before he composed himself and rubbed his arm.

“That wasn’t very nice,” he said, looking slightly amused. “Maybe I should leave, since I’m not wanted-”

“NO!” I shouted, my eyes widening in horror.

“Easy, I was just kidding. I'm not going anywhere unless you want me to, okay?” he assured me, suddenly looking intensely guilty and frantic at my horror. “Man, you’re really rattled, aren’t you?”

I nodded mutely, grinding my teeth together as those stupid tears threatened again. I looked away, refusing to let Wyatt see me cry anymore than he already had.

“Do you want to sleep now or…?” he trailed off, and even though I couldn’t see his face I knew it would be worried.

“Now, please,” I said quietly, turning off the music still blasting from my phone, to put on the night table. I slid under the covers, feeling a familiar wave of dread wash over me. I really hoped this would work. I didn't think I could take another nightmare, and after today I was sure it was going to be worse than usual.