Chapter 28: Not Funny

I tried to think of something, of anything really, that would calm me down. So I thought of Matt, and then about Wyatt, and then both of them. I thought about Ivy’s advice and decided to go for it.

I continued to keep an eye out until the sun started to rise. Now that I had established Mr. Psycho Killer didn't particularly enjoy light, I didn’t think I’d ever been so happy to see the sun shining brightly on this beautiful winter’s morning. I slipped out of Ivy’s room, unnoticed, and remembered that all my clothes were in my room where my Grandma was sleeping. So I detoured, deciding pjs were just fine for what I had to do, and snuck downstairs and found a small piece of paper, writing a quick note saying that I went to a friend’s house early this morning and that I'd be back sometime during the day.

Still in my pajamas, I pulled on some running shoes and hurried out the door, locking it firmly behind me even though Mr. Psycho Killer obviously didn’t use doors to enter a building.

I took off at a jog around my house until I reached the side with my bedroom. I pressed my hands against the wall of the house and inhaled deeply. Wyatt’s scent was strong. He’d been here recently, last night maybe. I walked away from my house, sniffing the air and following his scent carefully down the street. After a while the cold air whipping at my bare legs became too much for even me and I took off at a jog, inhaling his scent deeply until I slowly started to reach a familiar neighborhood.

Dakota and Claire live in this neighborhood, I thought in surprise as I crossed the street, following Wyatt’s scent into the backyard of a pretty white house. I climbed over the wooden fence and dropped silently to my feet on the other side, once again picking up his scent and following it to the back wall of the house.

I faced the wall, frowning. There was a rose trellis, and that seemed to be the only way to climb up to the top windows where I was assuming Wyatt’s bedroom was. I tried to climb it, but I was so exhausted from my lack of sleep that I couldn’t manage it. So I bent down to the ground, picked up a few stones and threw them carefully at the first window on the right of the house.

It took several stones before I saw a light flick on behind the curtains, which were pulled back quickly, and then suddenly Wyatt’s face and bare chest appeared in the window. He was rubbing his eyes until he caught me standing in his backyard, then he froze and his hand fell to his side as he gaped at me.

I stomped my foot and pointed to the ground in an exaggerated motion. It took Wyatt a while to get it, and I watched as he disappeared from the window for a moment, coming back with a hoodie on.

He opened his window and slid out carefully, barefoot, but now wearing a hoodie along with a pair of jogging pants. He reached down and I watched as he carefully walked along a small ridge until he reached the rose trellis, which he quickly climbed down.

About halfway down he let go and fell to his feet, turning around and giving me a confused look as he pulled off his hoodie and tossed it to me. I yanked it on without a word, since it was getting cold and I was only wearing short shorts and a tank-top. I was relieved to see he had at least put a tee-shirt on.

As soon as I had his hoodie on, I didn’t even bother to explain why I was here. I just threw my arms around him, burying my face in the crook of his neck like I usually did.

“Um…hey,” he said, surprised. I squeezed Wyatt tightly, feeling angry tears prick my eyes.

“He was in Ivy’s bedroom,” I hissed, “He said it would be a pity to kill me, and that I was still next. I would always be next.”

“What are you talking about?” Wyatt asked, still looking a bit disoriented from sleep.

“He said I could run, but I couldn’t hide,” I said, gripping Wyatt’s hair tightly with my clenched fists.