Chapter 10: Ain't Nothing But Mammals

All weekend, I was restless. Wyatt was constantly on my mind. No matter how hard I tried to distract myself, he kept appearing in my brain. How it felt in his arms, his lips on my neck, him calling my name as I ran off. And I loathed him for it.

I wished that I could turn back time and go back to when I thought I was human, when werewolves and vampires didn't exist in my world. Things were so much less complicated then they were now.

I was suddenly glad for the large load of homework I had received for the weekend. The complicated math kept my brain occupied, and kept me sane, as I worked all of Saturday on it. And when I finished all my homework, I cleaned the house. Then I organized my CD collection, and all of my books, and made a list of books that I wanted to buy and books that were coming out soon that I wanted to read.

By the time I finished all of that, I was annoyed to find that it was only six in the evening, still Saturday. The weekend wasn't even half over and I had finished everything. I needed to get out of the house. The four walls of my bedroom seemed to be closing in on me and I needed air....and maybe some socialization with real people, not the voice in my head that tried to make me feel guilty about my decision of never having anything to do with Wyatt again.

I flopped onto my bed, thinking of places I could go and who I could go with. And just as that thought popped up in my brain, Ivy walked into my room with an overnight bag.

"Hey," she said, her blue eyes sweeping across my recently cleaned bedroom and my sprawled form across my entire bed. I waved lazily from my place on my bed, and Ivy arched an eyebrow.

"Aren't you going out?" she asked, her eyes zeroing in on my old sweats and oversized tee-shirt.

"I have nowhere to go," I said simply, staring at the ceiling. It was sad but true. I was pretty sure Mirah had a date tonight, Dakota was babysitting, and Jared and Matt were having a boys night.

"You could come to Claire's for the night," Ivy shrugged, tightening her high ponytail.

I contemplated it for a moment, before pulling myself into a sitting position. I hadn't seen Claire much lately, or even Ivy. Ever since I'd started getting closer to my pack, I'd drifted from Claire and Ivy to them.

"As long as Claire doesn't mind, I suppose it would be alright," I shrugged. It would be nice to have some normal human company. Some normal human girl company.

"Good, then you start packing while I call Claire to let her know about the change in plans," Ivy said, grinning broadly before turning and skipping out of my room.

I glared as I watched her leave, feeling envious. How can she be so carefree and happy all the time? Didn't she notice all the stuff going on right under her nose?

Shaking my head in disgust and muttering darkly under my breath, I started to pack my bag quickly.

I met Ivy downstairs, still in my sweats, which I thought were okay to leave the house in. Especially since Ivy was also in sweats. Of course she looked a thousand times better than I did. Not that I cared too much at that moment. I figured, what the hell? If I felt like crap, I might as well look like it as well.

So, Ivy and I tugged on our boots and coats and headed out to take the city bus to Claire's. I was uneasy when I arrived on Claire's doorstep. The whole way to her house I had smelled Wyatt. His familiar musky scent and the underlying scent of vampire that, although faint, was sweet enough to make my nose feel tingly and strange.

I looked around, scanning the bushes and trees up and down the street for any sign of him. But there was nothing and no one on the street except Ivy and I.