The Story of the Legend Chapter 29

Amari and Su Hyun looked at each other and then back at Chol. They had completely forgotten that Chol had no idea about his uncle's true identity and why meeting Amari was no mere coincidence. Yong wanted to keep that a secret from him because he didn't want Chol to be involved with it. He wanted to allow Chol to live a relatively normal life away from the supernatural, but it can't be helped now.

Su Hyun didn't know how to explain it to him. It was literally a very long story. He didn't know where to begin.

"Let's wait, until we get back to my place, before any explanations, okay?" Su Hyun asked. "Then me and your grandfather can explain everything".

"He's in on this too?" Chol asked.

Su Hyun nodded his head.

"I think it's about time you know everything now anyways. It wasn't fair of us to keep it from you". Su Hyun told him.

The three of them got back in Su Hyun's car and he drove away from the high school and to his house. Su Hyun called Yong over to help him explain everything.

The four of them sat in the "living" room on the couches. Silence filled the room as everyone was looking elsewhere. Su Hyun and Yong was trying to figure out where to start, but decided to start from the beginning.

Su Hyun began his explanation by telling him he was a Gumiho. The ones you hear as stories. They were about him.

"A Gumiho?" Chol asked, shocked. "Then you're thousands of years old and you're not really my uncle are you?"

"That's right. I'm not human. I have lived longer than most and we are not related by blood. It was just a story to keep you and everyone else non suspicious, though I do think you and Yong as my family". Su Hyun said.

He then continued his story with Kali and how his perspective and everything changed since meeting her and how she was tragically killed by Tae Wan, who is now after Amari.

"Wait, Tae Wan is still living and why is he after Amari?" Chol asked.

"Yeah, I don't know how, but Tae Wan became more powerful somehow. He sought after my bead four hundred years ago and still seeks it to this day to gain immortality. I gave it to Kali, Amari's great grandmother who is the splitting image of her and now she has it within her body. That's how I knew she was the one to make me human. We even gave her three tests to be certain: strength, speed and hearing".

Chol looked at them puzzled before it dawned on him. "That's what those games were? You testing to make sure she had your bead?"

Su Hyun and Yong nodded.

Chol looked over at Amari. "So you guys were pretty much "destined" and "fated" to be together, huh?" He asked her.

Amari nodded her head. "Pretty much". She told him.

"I was never going to have a chance with you, huh?" He asked her.

Amari shook her head. "No, I'm sorry, Chol". "Perhaps if I was much younger and a different person then maybe".

Chol nodded his head. "It's okay. My heart is broken, but I will get over it". He told her.

Amari opened up her arms for him to hug her and Chol didn't hesitate to do it. The two softly embraced with Amari kissing the top of his head, making him smile and push her away, gently. He sat back down on his spot on the couch and looked up at Su Hyun and Yong.

"So how did my old man get involved with this?" He asked Su Hyun.

Su Hyun looked over at Yong. "You want to tell him that part of the story?" He asked, making Yong nod his head.

"I first met Su Hyun when I was a young boy. I was a poor lad, who spent most of his times in the streets. My parents had a broken marriage. Father was always out sleeping around and drinking with his friends. My mom spent her days passed out on the couch. Most of the time, I had to fend for myself". He said.

"I'm sorry". Chol apologized.

Yong shook his head. "No need to. It was just my reality. I had to make use to it". He then continued his story. "One night, I was sitting on a bench in the park, depression overwhelming me. Tears wouldn't stop forming and falling out of my eyes. That's when I met Su Hyun. He had given me a couple of sticks of his 붕어빵 (Bu​ngeoppang) to eat. The moment the warm sweet bean paste touched my tongue, I was in heaven. I had gobbled that sweet snack down like there was no tomorrow. I could still remember that warm hand patting the top of my head. I looked up at him and etched that image in my brain to keep. He looked exactly as he did now. He was so young and handsome". Yong said, smiling warmly to himself.

"Didn't know he was that nice". Chol said, becoming engrossed in the story. Everybody chuckled at him.

"Growing up, I had always remembered that kind stranger and his delicious snack". Yong continued. "I searched for him of course, but I failed and eventually gave up. He could have been anywhere, looked different. I was wasting my time. However, when I was older, married with young children at the time, Su Hyun came to me, looking exactly as he did all those years ago. I was astonished and amazed. It turned out he was keeping an eye on me the whole time, ever since that night in the park. He watched me grew up in the man I was then. He told me and your grandma about his true identity and that he needed our help. Ever since then, it was our family that protected him. When me and your grandmother became too old, it was your parent's turn to protect him".

"The family business, huh?" Chol asked, making Yong nod his head. "You guys could have just told me". He told them.

"We know, but we wanted you to live a normal life. Your parents and aunts and uncles couldn't". Su Hyun told him.

"We figured you'd be better off not knowing". Yong explained.

"Well now that I know now, what's next?" Chol asked.

"Just don't tell anyone about me". Su Hyun told him. "I may have to train you to fight, you and Amari. Knowing my secret comes with certain consequences". He said.

"Okay. That sounds fair". Chol agreed. "And what about", he cleared his throat, before continuing, "You two's wedding ceremony?" He asked him and Amari.

The two of them tensed up, blood rushing up to their faces.

"W...well, I have another month before the ceremony needs to take place. If Amari still wants to be with me then and wants to actually marry me then that's when it will happen". Su Hyun explained nervously.

Chol laughed at how those two got embarrassed so quickly and easily. Yong smacked him on the head with a rolled up magazine. "Stop embarrassing them". He said, chuckling as well.