Life= Not Always Sunshine and Rainbows

"Stay here."
"No, I need to go-"
"No. You have no choice. You. Stay. Here."
"But I-"

Echoes whispered in my mind as I shook my head back and forth in my sleep.

"Annabelle, you must be brave. You're a highly intelligent girl. Believe in yourself, stay strong, and go back home." My old best friend, Rhianna, had her hands on my shoulders as the fire ruined her house behind her. "I got this."

I woke up and sat up like a bolt. My hair was sticking to my forehead while my heart paced.

She told me to go home.
That she could handle her house burning down, and before that, her parents' deaths.

But she couldn't.

The firemen didn't arrive in time. She went in to try to save her dog.

She too got engulfed in the flames, but she managed to save her dog, Fluffball. Her aunt is his caretaker.

She died. Her death will always haunt me. And as I had ran home with tears flooding my eyes, there was one thing on my mind, the last thing she said to me.

I got this.

                          -&-&-&-&-&-

I wiped away a tear with the back of my hand as I made my way down the staircase.

"Hey, beautiful." Matthew smiled as I came down. He was standing in front of a plate of pancakes and bacon. "I made breakfast."

"Thanks Matthew...but I'm really not hungry. I think I'm just gonna lie down and watch a movie." I tied my hair into a messy bun and made my way into the den, putting on The Devil Wears Prada.

"Ugh, this movie?" I heard a groan from Matthew.

"Hey, no comments from the peanut gallery," I said, my eyes shooting daggers into his own. He seemed to get the message.

Several minutes passed when he perked up, "Have you been crying?"

How the hell did he notice?

"Erm, no," I didn't sound too convincing though. I checked to make sure I didn't have crusty eyes.

"I think you're lying. What's wrong?" He paused the movie, and peered at me, waiting for my answer.

I sighed. "Just reminiscing about an event that happened a few years ago."

"A sad one?"

I nodded.

"Spill."

I filled him in on the details. He looked like he was gonna cry. "Geez, Anna, I'm so sorry." He wrapped an arm around my shoulders protectively. "Don't worry. You have me now."

I smiled, snuggling into him. "I know. Thank you."

He kissed the top of my head. "Anytime...always."

                          -&-&-&-&-&
"Memories are escape artists," I stated as we walked down the sidewalk. "Always running loose in your mind, waiting to be set free."

Matthew smiled. "Just like tears," he said. "You just gotta let them go."

"Yeah. Let them move on. Stop dwelling in the past, and live in the present."

"Maybe you should give that advice to yourself," he tapped my nose. "It will help you overcome your old, and new, fears. Now let's see that smile." He dug into my ribs, and I almost fell onto the hard concrete.

"NAHAHAHA! YOUR TIMING IHIHIS TERRIBLE!" I laughed, struggling not to fall. "EHEHEHEHE!"

"Yep. Sounds like me." He continued his assault, moving to my belly.

"YOU SHOULDN'T DO THIHIHIS IN PUHUHUBLIC!"

He picked me up and carried me to a more secluded area in the park. He set me down on the grass. Gotta say, not exactly what I was going for.

"Matthew, wai-AHAHAHAHAHAHA!" His hands darted into my hips, kneading away. "HAHAHAHAHA!"

"There's that sweet giggle I miss!" He said, wigging his digits quickly.

I thrashed about, trying to get away. "EEKHAHAHAHAHA! EHEHEHEHE! MATTHEW!"

"Imma call you Squeakers," he smirked at my glare. "You can fill in for a pet mouse."

I tried my best to keep my glare, but giggles were seeping through effortlessly. "EHEHEHEHE!"

He gradually slowed down his speediness, then came to a complete stop.

And the Lord said
"HALLELUJAH!"

I panted, resting my arms at my side. I regained my breath just as he lifted my shirt and blew a raspberry.

"AHAHAHA!" I squealed.

He grinned. "Okay, I'm done. For now."

"Better than nothing." I rolled my eyes. His eyes were so blue, deep like a vast ocean. I could get lost in those eyes, like a sailor lost at sea.

Mine were hazel with golden flecks. I liked them, but Matthew's deep blue ones were better.

"Let's go, cap'n," Matthew said, drawing me out of my thoughts. "Before I make ye walk the plank! Yar!"

We marched on through the forest, the sun setting before us in a mix of oranges and purples.