26. Baby steps

After Shouto took me home, I received a call from Hana which was rare since we have different time zones. I of course was delighted since it's been ages since the last call, and I quickly answered. 

"Hey gurlll! How've you beeeen?" I snickered when I heard her goofy voice. She hasn't changed at all. "Nice! To what do I owe the honor of receiving such precious call?" I said playfully and she played along. "Oh I have been hoping to catch up with my dearest of friends, if you may." "Of course, your greatness." We tried to stiffle our laughs until we couldn't hold it anymore and we laughed our hearts out.

"I missed you, (N/N)." "Me too, baka."

Afterwards we catched up on a lot of things. I found out that she's one of the best students there and that she may actually return sooner than expected, though she's not too sure. Then I told her about all the things that happened to me ever since I started UA, which was more than I had thought would be.

Back then, I was the loner in my class and never dared to use my quirk, well that is until I met Hana two years ago. She was the one who encouraged me a lot and great part of who I am today is because of her. But after I got in UA, however, many things happened. I made lots of good friends and memories, survived a villain's attack, won third place on the festival, and I helped someone who was just like me, and he is also now one of my best friends. This made me happy and a little proud of myself because of how much I've gone through in such a short amount of time.

"Ohhhh so there's a guy eh?" Even though I couldn't see her, I knew she was wiggling her eyebrows at me. I sighed "Stop, he only sees me as a friend..." I already lost count of how many times people have asked us about our relationship. "....But you don't see him as one right?" "What? N-no. I mean, even if I did, it wouldn't change anything.." I said with a tint of disappoinment in my voice. "Buh, boring. I bet he's blind." She said and I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

"(Y/N)! Dinner's ready!" I heard my father call me from the kitchen.

"You heard him, I gotta go." "Okay, tell him I said hi." "Uh.. yeah..." "(Y/N).... are you still avoiding him?" "No comment." I heard her sigh. "Okay, just.. try to not be so harsh on him..." She said and I hummed before hanging up.

Well... seems like the only thing that hasn't changed was this thing I have with my dad. The truth is, I want to mend things with him, but I'm also afraid to do so. And I'm starting to believe I created that goal to become a hero first as an excuse to not face him yet. But after today... I remember Shouto feeling a lot more relaxed and different, in a good way, after finally talking with her mother. Perhaps I should also do so...

I went to the dining room and sat on my spot, which was in front of my father. While eating, the only thing that could always be heard were the clinking of the plates and utensils.

After a few bites and much hesitation, I finally gathered the courage to speak. "Um... how was your day...?" It was simple, yet it took a lot of me to pronounce those few words. He froze and almost choked on his food after hearing me. "W-W-What did you say?" "...I asked how your day was." I mumbled lowly but I knew he heard me when there was a big idiotic smile plastered on his face. Really, he's just like mom.

"AH, UH... IT WENT VERY WELL!" I was startled when he shouted. He then coughed nervously "I uh.. sorry, I was taken aback. My day went very well. Ugh, actually, no, it didn't. I went to work as usual and you know, there's this guy who always wants to compete with me. Well today after my presentation he was so irritated because everyone applauded me that he started pointing out every tiny and miserable mistake he could find. But no worries, haha, because your dad is super intelligent and I did this to... (continues blabbering)." Ughh, I forgot he was quite the chatterbox.

He continued blabbering excitedly about his day with so many funny expressions that I couldn't help but laugh a little. He stopped talking suddenly and I went stiff cursing myself for laughing. I hesitantly looked up and was astonished when I found him teary eyed.

"Ah, don't mind me... The onion in this plate is just too strong." "Dad... there are no onions on the food..." "I-Is that so? Then there must be a ghost cutting onions in this room." He said while drying his tears with the sleeves of his shirt. I wasn't going to argue his logic at this point.

I heard him sniffle a little and after he was done, he cleared his throat. "But you know, the best part about today was that my cute princess asked me how my day was."

When he said that smiling brightly with a red nose, I could feel a pang of pain on my chest and a knot starting to form on my throat. I felt guilty seeing that only one simple question of mine could make him this stupidly happy.

I just nodded at what he said and continued eating silently, trying very hard to keep my tears in to hide how I was feeling, though it was useless as I was sniffling between each bite. But he respected my silence and continued eating, but this time he was smiling genuinely. Something I haven't seen in a long time.

I have decided. I'll no longer use the 'become a hero first' excuse, and I'll try to catch up the time I lost with him. Just... a baby step at a time.

After I finished, I went to my room and Saw Fuku lying on my bed. When I looked at his heterochromatic eyes, it reminded me of Shouto. I climbed on the bed and snuggled up with him.

.

.

.

The next day, I went to school and noticed that everyone was thrilled. I got closer and listened to their conversations. Apparently, they were excited because people recognized us from the sports festival. I thought about it and remembered earning a few looks yesterday with Shouto and today on my way to school, but I shrugged it off thinking that it was probably nothing.

Shouto then arrived and sat on his seat beside me, and I greeted him cheerfully. "Shouto... there's something I want to tell you. Yesterday I spoke with my dad." You could say he was surprised when I told him this. "Though it wasn't a proper talk like you had with your mom in any way. I just asked him how he was doing, but he got so happy I..." I was suddenly overwhelmed and I couldn't form the words. He caressed my head gently and said "You did well".

I blushed at his actions, but I shrugged it off. Being honest, it still affected me when I thought about the reason behind the little kiss, but there was one thing I wouldn't want to happen, and that is to lose my friendship with him. I figured that with time I'd eventually forget the small feelings I had developed if I acted normal. Hopefully, Shouto wouldn't notice it.

"Anyways, it's because of you that I decided to try and mend my relationship with my dad, and though it will take time, I'll forever be grateful to you for that." I smiled at him gratefully and he did too.

______________________

(A/N): When I was looking for anime dad pictures, I stumbled upon Maes Hughes's picture and did a little research. I thought his personality fitted perfectly with my image of your dad in this story. Though I haven't seen FMA, so forgive me if I'm wrong.