35. For her

(Y/N)'s POV

We both widened our eyes and blushed after I confessed my feelings. 

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL HELL DID I DO JUST NOW?

We looked at anything but each other. An awkward silence settled in, and I was prepared for the world to just burn itself. After an eternity, he coughed and started talking "Thanks for saying that. I -" "HAHAHAH, OF COURSE I'D SAY THAT. I REALLY LIKE YOU. AS A FRIEND. WHAT? YOU THOUGHT IT WAS ROMANTICALLY? PFFF AS IF."

I lied. I knew he was going to reject me if I let him continue, and I wasn't prepared for that. I didn't want our relationship to turn awkward to eventually drift apart. I still want to be with him, even if it hurts.

He was going to say something but suddenly the door swung open with a loud bang, startling both of us.

Shouto's POV

I widened my eyes when she said that she liked me, and when we looked at each other we both blushed. I averted my gaze because I didn't want her to see me like this. Awkwardness filled the air, and I was thinking of what to say.

I'll let her know my feelings too.

I coughed to draw her attention. "Thanks for saying that."

I like you too.

"I-" I was going to say the words but she interrupted me.

...

After all the time I spent with her, I have gotten to know her quite well and started to pick up on the little things she does when she gets nervous. And when she said those hurtful words, she was not acting like usual, so I knew she was lying.

I knew, but it still hurt to hear those words and I started to doubt myself.

She always worries about me and the way she smiles to me is different from her usual smile. She blushes and stutters whenever she's with me, something I found rather cute since I noticed I was the only one who saw her clumsy self, and I hoped that it was because I was special to her. But was it all in my head? 

I pushed away these thoughts and tried to think of a reason she'd lie to me about this, but I couldn't find a solid enough reason. I gave up thinking and tried to ask her, when suddenly the door opened with such force it startled us.

"(Y/N)~!!" a middle-aged man yelled with tears all over his face. He had (H/C) and (E/C) and I immediately knew he was (Y/N)'s father. He had an unkept appearance to which I assumed it was because he was worried about her.

He dashed to (Y/N)'s bed and hugged her tightly, drenching her because he practically had rivers for tears. "Ow ow ow, calm down! It still hurts jeez". She said and he let go. "U-UH BUDD I WAS WORRID ABOUDYOUU!!" He yelled with snots and engulfed her in another hug. This time she just rolled her eyes, but I could see a faint smile brushing her lips.

I was quite surprised to see that her dad was this... clumsy? But at the same time I wasn't. I now get where (Y/N) got her clumsiness from.

Her father let go of her again and realized that I was here too "Uh sweetheart, who's he?" I stood up and bowed to him "Hello, I'm Shouto Todoroki, (Y/N)'s... friend." To be honest, it was still weird for me to call someone a friend, and yet I wanted to be something more to her.

"Oh, well hello Todoroki-san. Thanks for taking care of my daughter." He said it with a friendly smile, but I don't know why I could feel a murderous intentions and I gulped down in fear. "Ah... no it's nothing..." I said with a drop of sweat as I felt his murderous aura getting closer to me as I backed away;;

Fortunately, she started a conversation with her father in an attempt to save me and he suddenly had flowers surrounding him. I decided to let them have some privacy, but the nurse came in and told us to leave so that she could rest, so in the end we both got out.

.... It was quiet. Not that I minded but, the thing is, he was straight up staring daggers at me and I sweatdropped....

"Um.. have I done something wrong, sir..?" I asked and he answered "Nooo, on the contrary, it seems that you treat my daughter reaaaaally well. Thank you Todoroki-san!" He said as his eyes twitched. "It's nothing..." Somehow it felt as if I was going to be hunted soon.

After some really awkward minutes, I decided that I should go, but he cleared his throat to say "You know, I lost my wife to an accident and (Y/N)'s everything I've got now. When they called me to tell me that she was having a surgery because of a villain attack, my heart almost stopped. I knew that when she chose to be a hero, these kinds of things are bound to happen unfortunately, but I still can't bear to lose her."

I understood what he was feeling but I didn't understand why he was telling me this all of a sudden. He sighed and continued.

"I heard that (Y/N) got in danger because she was worried about you, is that correct?" "..Yes" "Do you like my daughter?" "....Yes" He sighed again and pinched the area between his eyebrows. "Look, I'm sure you must be a good guy since she risked her life to protect you, but do you have what it takes to protect her?" He asked staring sternly at me and it caught me off guard.

We've seen the scars on her side before we left the room when the nurse came to change the wraps and I remembered how I burnt her there to stop the bleeding. It was to save her but it pained me to be the one that caused her that kind of pain and I hated how I couldn't protect her from Stain, and now because of me she has a burn scar there, along with stitches. And I hated it even more when she noticed my regret and gave me a reassuring smile to not make me feel guilty anymore.

It makes sense that she doesn't like me more than a friend. She's the one who's always protecting me whilst I can do nothing for her.

'You are my hero'

(Y/N)... What a pathetic hero you have...

But it made me realize that I needed to become stronger in order to protect the ones I love. This time not only for my mom and siblings, but for her too. I wanted to be the hero she deserves.

I clenched my fists as I answered staring at his eyes with a newfound determination.

"I'll make sure she won't ever get hurt again". 

I will definitely be the best hero I can be for her.

We stayed still for a moment, our gazes not wavering, until he nodded and patted my shoulder. "Good, I'll leave it to you then. I can see why she likes you. I don't know what's going on right now between the two of you but I do know she's a stubborn kid, so don't give up."

I was relieved to know that the fact that she liked me wasn't all in my head like I have began to suspect, and glad that he acknowledged me and was giving me his support.

I was going to thank him when out of nowhere I slipped and fell. "Still doesn't mean I like you though". He said waving as he left without looking back and put his hands in his pockets. As I stared at his back, I found myself sighing a smile.

I have decided I won't give up after having found out she likes me the same way I do. I'll do whatever I can to find out why she's lying to me.