Chapter 15 Pain

Hayden's POV

We looked high and low.

But she was nowhere to be found.

Zane was furious.

He was angry I said mate's name in front of the pack even after mate told us not to. So ever since she left, he hasn't been talking to me.

Not having your wolf talk to you is like you've lost part of your mind. You'd suddenly feel there's something missing in your heart. And you just don't know what it is.

I have constantly tried to talk to him but he just won't answer.

And now. 1 freaking month has past by.

1 dreadful month.

1 unbearable month.

1 depressing month.

I wasn't myself anymore. Even I admit it. I am not myself.

I was who I used to be.

Diana's POV

Hayden is his usual self again. And I mean that in a bad way.

He's now in charge of the training. He never lets anyone have any more water-break in between training from sunrise to sunset. He began yelling at the slightest thing. He began shouting at members who made an accidental mistake. He began engrossing himself in his office, always about work work and work.

When she- *ahem* Annabel was still here, Hayden has never been in charge of the training again. And when he goes to inspect, he has a joyous mood and gives everyone some slack. The members loved him then. They were happy their alpha actually cared so much for them. Hayden also began to sit with us at the dining table for lunch and pack dinner. Usually, he would eat his dinner alone in his office. And best of all, Hayden was not once angry when Annabel was here. Now, everything changed. Just because of his mate, he was torn again. All he needs, is his anchor of strength, who was from his pack, to now, his Luna as well. Without his Luna, there was no way he could lead the pack with pride and honour any longer.

Annabel...where are you? Your mate needs you right now. Desperately.

Annabel's POV

Running. Hunting. Escaping from reality.

I had took off from mate's territory as soon as I left the pack house 1 month ago.

Now, I hunt. And I was surprisingly good at it.

There were many times I missed mate. But not once was the feeling of love overpowered by anger and hatred for him.

I was angry. I was mad. I was hurt. I was disappointed.

After everything that had happened, he still blurted out my name. And to everyone with that matter. There's a reason why i didn't want people to know my name..

"You are a special wolf. You've always have been. "

"Daddy?"

"Remember, never forget who you truly are."

"D-daddy?" I whispered.

"You are our only hope little one. Never lose hope. Soon, you'll find out who you are. I love you."

And he took his last breath.

"Daddy? Daddy?! Daddy!!"

Mommy quickly embraced me in her arms.

"Shhhh, it's okay. He did it to save you."

"But but. I want Daddy!"

"I want to0 sweetheart."

"Daddy!" I cried.

What did he meant?

What did he mean? I think I finally know.

It was only after I left did I have this dream over and over again. And from time to time, I understood.

But first, I have to retrieve that notebook. No one. And I mean no one, is to have their hands on that notebook.

1 month has gone. They must have forgotten about me. 1 month.

Plan A: Sneak in, dodge every attack and not kill, retrieve notebook, run and escape. Don't look at mate.

Plan B: Capture a guard, disguise as a guard, sneak in, avoid mate and everyone, retrieve notebook, runs and escape.

Plan C: If everything fails, just admit it to mate and ask for help and pray he understands where I'm coming from. (Which he probably won't)

And after I retrieve it, I train. I train hard so I can return stronger. I train hard so I can reclaim my place, my title.

And I won't let anyone get hurt or involved anymore.

Although, I think some pack members may have already figured it out...

Diana's POV

All I can see is Hayden playing around with his food.

"Hayden, don't play with your food. It'll get cold."

"Like I care."

I sighed.

"Well, you better care. Tomorrow's the yearly alpha ball."

The alpha ball is when all alphas gather at one location. With their mates, or lunas, they attend the ball and discuss treaties, or meetings, or wars, basically anything you would like to talk about with other alphas. Instead of asking permission from alphas, all just talks there and it is way easier. And of course, to celebrate becoming alphas.

Since Hayden hasn't found his mate, I have been going with him for years ever since our father died and he took over. But now that he has found his mate, he was so excited to show off his mate for tomorrow's ball. But as you can tell and see, he's now dreading it. He used to be picked on by other alphas for not having a mate at 18. Now he's already 22. Just think. The most powerful alpha in the world, not having his luna to rule by his side.

"Actually, I'm thinking of not going."

"What?! No! You're like the most important guest there! You're the most powerful alpha must I remind you again?"

"What's the point. If your mate's not there with you, what the point of going?"

"Hayden. I have been going with you for years and this year you decided to complain?"

He slammed his fist on the table.

"This year's different Diana! This year I have found my mate and I was looking forward to bringing her with me! But no, she ran away. So tell me, if you found your mate and you were going to a ball, would you rather your mate take you, or your brother?"

I kept silent. It was true. I can't believe I would assume things like that. Of course I would choose my mate.

"I'm sorry."

"God..I can't deal with this shit right now. I'm going to bed."

And he left the table immediately.

I made him mad. Didn't I?

Hayden's POV

I didn't mean to shout at her like that. I really didn't.

But she suddenly got me so angry. She should have understood what I was going through.

"God dammit!" I punched the door. And it shook.

Fuck, Annabel. What the hell must you leave? If you just came back, I swear to the moon goddess I will never hurt you or betray your trust ever again. If I disobey, I shall be removed from my title as alpha. Just please, come back to me...

Does the mate bond really make you this vulnerable?