01 - a present from e

The oak hardwood floor squeaked beneath my sneakers as I hobbled to my bedroom. The bottoms of my feet ached having carried me through an 8-hour shift at the cinema. I had matching under-eye bags for further proof. On top of my head, my knotted hair perched messily like a bird's nest with scattered popcorn kernels throughout. As I swung my bedroom door open, I was instantly greeted with the piles of uncompleted schoolwork I had desperately been avoiding.

Home sweet home.

I swiftly threw off my butter-stained uniform joining it with the sea of dirty laundry that was littered across my floor. Of course, I knew my mum would throw a fit over the absolute wreckage that was my bedroom, but that was a problem for future Ellie to deal with. Then, in one swooping motion I collapsed onto the bed. The softness of my comforter engulfed me and swallowed me into the bed. It was orgasmic. Slowly, the world began to grow dark. I felt myself begin to melt away until an obnoxious ringing ripped me from my sleep.

The white glow of my phone illuminated my bedroom. I reached over to see who was calling.

Eleanor

My sisters name sprawled across the screen in big white letters accompanied by a photo of us from a couple years back. It was the day of her university graduation. We both had kiddish smiles plastered on our faces, eyes wide and full of dreams. I stood beside Eleanor wearing one of her hand me down dresses from high school as she posed in her cap and gown. I had nothing but admiration for her at the time. But now, as I looked down on my screen, all I saw was a girl and a stranger she used to know.

That photo was our last time together before everything changed.

The last time my sister was just a normal person and not the arm-candy of an internationally famous boyband member. The last time we had our picture taken by somebody that wasn't the paparazzi.

My sister is beautiful. Whenever we used to go out random casting agents would hand her their business cards like they were free samples at Costco. So, of course, the first boy she brings home couldn't be some average Joe. No, she decided to date Louis Tomlinson from One Direction. On the few occasions I've been with Louis and the other bandmates, I've had no real problems. But still one crucial truth remains, they stole my sister from me.

I looked down at her name flashing on my screen until it disappeared. The person calling my phone was not the same girl in that graduation photo.

I turned my phone off and placed in onto the floor. Then, I closed my eyes and let sleep take me away from this moment.

The Saturday morning sun spilled into my room forming rectangular pools of light throughout my bedroom. A particularly bright streak of sun was conveniently aimed at my eyes.

I squinted and looked over at my alarm clock. It read 7:00am in big white digital letters.

"Why is it so damn bright at seven in the morning" I groaned.

I violently grabbed onto the pillow beside me and smashed it into my face. No more annoyingly bright 7 o'clock sunshine. Just as I began to fall back asleep my bedroom door swung open. Woosh.

"Happy birthday Eliana!" my mom burst into my room, cheery as ever. She threw my pillow off my head unveiling her daughter, who hated birthdays.

My mother was a beautiful woman, Eleanor was constantly considered a carbon copy of her. Time and stress had left their marks on her, crows feet began to form beside her eyes as she smiled. One thing I always loved about my mom was her commitment to tradition. So, it was no surprise when she revealed a stack of pancakes from behind her sprinkled with strawberries and topped with a tiny mountain of whipped cream. She had done the same thing for mine and Eleanor's birthdays since before I could remember. I never liked it but, now that it's just me and her I figured I should indulge.

"Thanks mom" I forced a grin and snuck a bit off the whipped cream pile.

"I can't believe my baby girl is eighteen" her mouth smiled but I noticed tears welling in her eyes.

I know she's scared that I'm growing up. Scared that I'll move halfway across the country and never come home again like Eleanor. But of course, that remained unspoken and all I could do was grab her hand and smile.

"I have a surprise for you downstairs" she placed the pancakes on my bedside table. "Come down when you're ready". Then, she kissed my forehead gently and walked out of my room. I saw her eyes graze the dirty laundry on my floor, but birthday perks mean I got a free pass.

I got out of my bed slowly, my body still ached from the night before. Scooping popcorn and cleaning bathrooms for 8 hours straight does a number on the body. Messy smudges of last night's mascara left racoon-like circles around my eyes. I quickly rubbed it off and threw on the first clean outfit I could find.

My mom attempts to give us great surprises but desperately fails every time. My mind wandered trying to figure out what her great plan was for this year. Last year she got us tickets to see the newest Mission Impossible. This would have been completely fun if I didn't work at the cinema. I laughed reminiscing on the simpler times.

I glanced at myself once more in the mirror. So this is 18.

Then, I promenaded down the stairs. The sweet aroma of fresh pancakes continued to linger in the air. I heard a voice. One that didn't belong to my mother. Suddenly, my feet began to move quicker beneath me and I quickly shuffled towards the kitchen.

There was my surprise.

Sitting beside my mother on one of the old wooden chairs that surrounded our dining table. I had to lean in closer to ensure I was seeing everything right. I weighed the possibility of my brain playing a trick on me but then she reached out and hugged me and I knew this was reality.

"Eleanor"

I spoke her name barely above a whisper.

"Elliephant! Happy birthday" she pulled away from her embrace and smiled wide. She had to use that stupid nickname she gave me when we were kids. I've forbidden anyone but her from using it.

As she smiled, I analyzed the woman standing before me. It felt like one of those "spot the differences" games where everything looks the same but is slightly different. Being in the spotlight changed her. Her eyelash extensions swooped up gracefully nearly touching her perfectly clean eyebrows. The clothing she wore cost more than our mortgage, I particularly noticed a Cariter bangle adorning her wrist. She looked different.

"You look great Ellie" she grinned as though reading my mind.

I looked down at my coffee-stained grey crewneck sweater and baggy ripped jeans which both belonged to her.

"Thanks".

The kitchen was filled with a strange silence, the kind of silence that held tension and unspoken feelings. The air felt heavy.

"Eleanor has a surprise for you" my mom said breaking the silence. I noticed the look on her face, pure euphoria. She was just happy to see us all together once again.

Eleanor inhaled shakily. I have no idea what gift she could possibly give me. After two years living in London with her superstar boyfriend, she barely even knew who I was.

Then, five words came out of her mouth. The five words I had least expected to hear yet still, they completely changed my life.

"Move to London with me"

I looked back up at her. Suddenly, the façade fame has placed on her began to drift away and all I saw was my sister. So what else could I possibly say but,

"Yes" 

author's note

hello! welcome to the first rewritten chapter of "my sister's boyfriend's bestfriend". i hope you enjoyed and if anyone is still reading this don't forget to vommet (vote + comment) 

love always