08 - the truth

The streets of London were cold and unfamiliar. The sound of my sneakers squeaking against the dampened pavement seemed to echo through the empty roads. My feet continued to move beneath me despite not having any particular destination in mind. London felt peaceful at this time. It was already morning but the sky remained the deepest shade of blue. The air was damp and reminiscent of the rain that had poured down hours before. The smell of wet pavement was sweet but pungent. 

I don't know how long I had been walking. I walked until I was able to sort my thoughts, and then some more. Each time I passed a group of people I automatically darted my face towards the ground out of fear. Fear that they might recognize me. Of course as a woman, I had always felt some kind of fear when walking alone late at night. The kind that makes you walk a little faster or pretend to call a friend on the phone. But never this kind of fear. This was the kind of fear that made me wish I wasn't myself. 

I turned a corner, then another, and another. Each turn revealed a brand new street to venture on. This was the kind of adventure I longed for when I decided to move here. A mystery. A new city to explore. I just never expected to be doing it at 5am, with my head hung low and jeans soaked with rainwater. 

As I turned another corner, my eyes landed on a magazine stand around the corner. A sweet old man stood at the station, his crows feet grew more defined as I approached. 

"Good morning to you!" He sang. His voice was deep and croaky, but familiar. It surprised me to see something open at this hour. 

I looked around at his stand. Tabloids surrounded him filled with dramatic headlines and photos of celebrities. Beside him was a photo of Louis and my sister leaving their home. I traced my finger along Eleanor's perfectly curled hair. I had never viewed these magazine covers as real people. I had never thought any of it was real life. But it was. And thanks to Harry, it was mine now. 

I purchased the copy of the magazine. I would never read it but the old man was far too kind to leave him empty handed. I looked down at the magazine in my hands, and knew there was only one person I wanted to talk to right now. 

Eleanor's house was bigger than it looked on FaceTime. As I entered in the grand front entrance, I was hit by a wave of warm, sweet air. It felt like a home. Something I haven't felt, in what feels like, ages. 

"I can't believe you walked here" She said, placing my muddied up sneakers onto her mat. Her face displayed a mixture of disbelief and sympathy. 

"I needed to get out of there" I sighed plopping myself down onto her couch. Looking around her living room, not an inch of it reflected her. Her life was consumed by fame. But that was the life she chose. Not me. That was the furthest thing from what I ever wanted for myself. But that choice was taken away from me the moment Harry pretended we were something for the press. My only question was why. Why me? Why without telling me? Why lie? 

Without even opening my mouth I looked at Eleanor and knew she could tell exactly what I was thinking. She always could. 

"Management made him do that Ellie" she sighed, her eyes scanning my face trying to calculate my response.

"What do you mean management made him do that?" I spat back. "Famous pretty boy can't make big boy decisions!" My face glowed a bright shade of tomato red. None of this made sense. 

Suddenly, Louis emerged from upstairs. His hair was messy, as though he had just woken up. I had partially forgotten what time it was. 

"I don't mean to pry but, I think I'd be able to explain it" he said gently as he placed himself beside Eleanor. I looked at them. Him in his pajamas and Eleanor in her dressing robe. They looked happy. I thought I resented Louis for stealing my sister away, but maybe I just resented him for making her so damn happy that she didn't need me anymore. They looked at each other completely in sync and he began to speak. 

"After the X-Factor we were signed to a management agency". Eleanor held onto his hand as he continued to speak

"They control everything about us. How we look, how we act, what music we produce" He paused for a moment, his gaze lowering to the ground. 

"They control everything, even who we date" he paused and our eyes met. 

"When the story broke about you living with Harry, management saw it as an opportunity to get more publicity for Harry and the band. Before you, they were trying to hire someone to pose as his girlfriend. Management told him to use this opportunity. He tried to refuse but" his eyes were filled with sadness, "They don't take no for an answer". 

As I looked at Louis sitting in front of me, I saw a side of him and a side of the band I didn't know existed. They weren't just musicians and superstars, they were puppets being controlled.

Louis inhaled sharply sitting up straight. 

"Thank you for explaining that to me" I said softly, following it with a gentle nod. "It still wasn't my choice to get involved in all of this though" 

It was the truth. Harry got as much say in all of this as I did. We were both completely helpless. 

"So what are you gonna do Ellie" Eleanor spoke, cutting through the stale air. If I were to answer truthfully in that moment, I would've said I have no fucking idea. But instead I responded,

"I need to go home and talk to Harry"