10 - all of the lights

I looked into the mirror skeptically to find a completely different person reflected back. After hours of rummaging through boxes, it was clear that nothing I owned was red-carpet worthy. Thankfully Eleanor was one call away and came in to save the day. She swooped my hair into a purposefully messy up-do, perfectly showcasing the diamond earrings which dangled gracefully from my ears. The dress was one of Eleanor's recent runway purchases from a designer who's name I could not pronounce, nor cared to know. It was strapless and a muted ivory shade. Eleanor insisted I self tan to prevent me from washing out, but I refused. It's hemline was asymmetrical with one end sweeping the floor and the other coming right above my knee. 

I did a turn in the mirror observing every inch and curve of my body. While it was a lovely dress, one which probably cost more than my school tuition, it felt more like a costume. The organza fabric which pressed against my skin felt like it belonged to someone else. Despite the custom alterations, something about it still didn't fit right. 

I inhaled slowly taking one last look in the mirror. It was only one night. I can get through one night. 

-

Cascading down the glass staircase with Harry awaiting me at the bottom felt awfully ceremonial and far too formal for this business arrangement. Still, he waited at the base of the staircase, hand ready to escort me once I reached the landing. 

He wore a simple all-black outfit. Black pants, black button-up, black suit jacket. The simplicity was clean, each seam looked freshly pressed and perfectly tailored to his body. My eyes trailed from his perfectly shiny leather shoes to his simply-styled brown hair. I hadn't realized what it might've came across as. 

"You don't look to shabby yourself" He joked noticing my stare. 

I turned away swiftly feeling the warmth building in my cheeks. The colour of my face surely matched my lipstick by now. 

"Thank you" I muttered, keeping my eyes on the ground to prevent any further miscommunications

He looked at me once again, holding the stare for an extra second longer. He had made me flustered and he knew it. Behind his cheeky smile I felt  a hint of satisfaction which only intensified the heat which burned my tomato-red cheeks. 

"Have fun okay" Eleanor said wrapping her arms around me. Her embrace felt like a breath of fresh air. Part of me wish I could've stayed there all night. In Eleanor's arms, safe and protected. But alas, as quickly as the hug began, it ended. 

Before I knew it Harry had swung the door open, and beyond the front steps sea of flashing lights met me. 

POP

The champagne cork darted across the back of the limo. Bubbles began overflowing from the mouth of the bottle sending golden streams down the leather seats. 

"Harry! Be careful this dress costs more than my net worth" I squealed swiftly dodging a glob of bubbles. 

He moved the bottle carelessly spilling even more onto the limousine floor.  

"Well, you're going to need this if you want to get through the night" He laughed back. His left hand gripped onto the bottle, champagne foam continuing to flow down in a volcanic like fashion. His right hand reached across me grasping two champagne glasses stored in the door beside me. They clinked together, the sound ringing through the car almost as loud as the music we've blasted. His arm brushed against my lap gently as he brought the glasses towards the erupting champagne bottle. 

The bubbly settled and he poured our glasses, only a sliver from the rim. He smiled as he handed me my glass. 

"To you Ellie, for saving my ass tonight and being my date" I chuckled, that burning feeling beginning to return. 

"And to the first of many drunken nights wearing expensive clothes" He raised his glass, the crinkles by his eyes growing deeper as his smile grew wider. 

"Here, here!" I responded, lifting my glass to his. And for a moment, my eyes were almost as bright as the paparazzi flashes outside our tinted windows. 

-

The fizzing drink slithered down my throat smoothly. A stark comparison to the box wine I shared with mum at home. I nearly asked Harry to pour me my third glass when the limo came to a smooth halt. 

The camera flashes got brighter, even behind the tinted glass, and even above the music, voices yelling Harry's name and my name grew louder. It felt so strange to hear my name shouted by strangers. It felt so strange to be wearing expensive clothing, drinking expensive champagne and hanging out in a limo. I inhaled shakily, breathing in my last breath of calm air before having to dive in to the chaos. 

Suddenly, I felt a hand rest on my knee. I looked down to find Harry's hand, I also found that my knee had been trembling. I wonder when that started. 

"Are you ready" He asked, after a moment of silence.

"Ready as I'll ever be" I responded.

Then, head first, I dove into the shark tank.