07 - god, its brutal out here

Dinner was short but sweet. I scarfed down the pancakes as soon as they touched the plate. They weren't nearly as good as mum's pancakes but they certainly did fill me up. After we were done eating, Harry headed out to an event. I was too focused on my pancakes to fully pay attention to what it was I was left with a mountain of dishes to wash. We had an agreement; he would cook and I would clean. At least for the next 7 days before he found a new place. 

I hummed dancing swiftly towards the sink to begin working away at the stack of dishes before me. It bewildered me how many dishes this boy used to cook one batch of pancakes. 

Suddenly, a loud ring echoed through the room. I glanced over at my phone to find Eleanor's name written largely across the screen. I smiled. 

"Hey stranger" I giggled picking up the phone.

"Ellie," Her response was stern and reeked of bad news. Millions of worst case-scenarios circulated around my brain. Suddenly, it felt as though my stomach had dropped down to my knees. After a moment of steadying my shaky breaths I responded, 

"What is it? What's wrong?" 

"Turn on your TV to E!News" 

I scurried over to the living room as quickly as I possibly could, the radiating heat from my cellphone still pressing against my cheek. The remote was like a foreign machinery. Harry had yet to teach me how to use it and the the technology was much more advanced than the half broken telly I had back home. The screen flashed, sending colourful projections over the living room furniture as I flipped through each channel. Then, after what seemed like an eternity, I found it. 

Harry appeared on my television screen. His outfit was different than the one he had left the house in, more put together, more stiff. I could tell he was wearing concealer just a shade too warm under his eyes. 

Behind him was a red carpet adorned with different celebrities parading in their glamourous dresses. It appeared to be some kind of premiere. Why did Eleanor make me watch this? Just as I thought my question, it was answered. The same photo of me that was featured on TMZ plastered across the screen. 

The only noise I could hear was the sound of my own heart beating rapidly in my chest. My knees suddenly felt like liquid, moments away from melting away completely. I bit down on my nails though there was not much left to bite. 

Then, a short blonde reporter came into the screen. She held up a large microphone with E!News plastered across it. She called Harry over, smiling wide. 

"So Harry we've caught word that you've moved in with a mystery girl. Want to tell us a bit about that?" 

He swallowed. For a moment, I swear it felt like he looked at me. His green eyes dropped for a second as though he was saying sorry but simultaneously his mouth crept into a wide smile. 

"I don't want to say too much because it's still new..."

My eyes widened as large as plates. There's no way. 

"But all I can say is I've got a real special girl waiting for me at home. Love you Ellie!" He smiled blowing a kiss towards the camera. 

It's ironic that he's a musician because he makes a damn good actor. I felt my cheeks warm up. The jagged edges of my bitten nails sliced into my palms. I reached over to the remote and shut the telly off as fast as I possibly could. I paced around my living room, the rage festered in me waiting to be released. Any sort of friendship I began to feel towards Harry was snuffed out instantaneously. Instead it was replaced by resentment.

 I paced in the living room until Harry stumbled through the door at the early hours of the morning. 

"What the hell was that" I spat, as soon as the door shut behind him. 

He looked up at me, visibly intoxicated. His formerly pristine suit was untucked and unbuttoned. Stains littered the front of his white shirt which I can only assume, by the colour, was wine. 

"What was what?" He slurred back to me. His breath reeked of alcohol. 

I stomped over to him. It took all the self-control within me to not smack him across the face. Instead, I continued to crunch my fists tighter. My palms began to bleed. 

"I don't know what kind of stunt you pulled back there but we are not together. You will not pull me in to your ridiculous theatrical life. Fix this mess that you've created then get the hell out of my life Harry. I'm not your special girl, you are a stranger who's only made my life worse". I spat the last sentence out with particular emphasis. 

Then, I walked out of the house, slamming the door behind me. I had no idea where I was going, I just knew it couldn't be here.