Marshall's Impatience

The smell of baked goods greeted me as I walked into the house, instantly getting my salivary glands working. I kicked off my shoes as I stepped into the foyer and closed the door, smiling to myself. Sarah and I had exchanged keys about six months ago and we were all but living with each other. I'd made an offhand comment in the dark of the night once that the house didn't feel right when she wasn't in it. She'd started coming straight here when she left work, only heading to her own place as needed for clothing and such.

I prowled through the house, letting my nose lead me to where I was certain she was. When I got there, she was pulling a tray of cookies out of the oven, giving me a fantastic view of her ass. I let her set the tray down before I slid in behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist as I buried my nose in her hair. Cookies were great, but nothing could beat the way her smell made me feel.

"Hm," she murmured, tilting her head into mine. She moved to face me, moving her hands to rest on my chest as I bent to capture her lips in a soft kiss.

"I love coming home to you." I said against her lips, teasing at them with my teeth.

"Because I make you sweets?" She asked, teasing and I nodded.

"Yep. It's the only reason. You know," I said as I raised my head. "I could probably just get myself a service or something." I joked and she nodded, her eyes glinting even as her expression turned serious.

"Well, you aren't getting any younger." She said. "Perhaps it would be best for me to find myself a more youthful stallion?" I growled as I narrowed my eyes at her, pushing her back against the fridge and nipping at her neck while my hands went exploring.

"No one's touching what's mine." I said lowly against her skin. Her hands were at the back of my neck now as she tilted her head to give me more access.

"Hm. Well, if that's how you feel," she responded, her voice breathy.

"Let's go to bed." I demanded. She nodded and moved with me, all cooking forgotten.

---

Months passed and I found myself doing something that I'd thought was never going to happen again: I was in the middle of a fucking jewelry store, looking at the remnants of dinosaurs as I tried to find something just right. As I glanced over the displays, my eyes landed on a set of rings. The colors of the metal spun from one to another under the setting, leaving the impression of water.

"That style is called mokume-gane," the manager, who'd shut the store down so that I could do this, said to me. "It involves using sheets of precious metal and heating it until they intermingle, creating the swirls you see." I nodded, seeing a set of rings that seemed to be a mishmash of rose gold, a darker gold, and a lighter, nearly white metal.

"Those ones." I said, pointing to them. "And I want the stone in her setting to be rose colored, like the gold." I continued, looking up into his eyes. He nodded, smiling at me. I could see the dollar signs in his eyes as he pulled the pieces out.

"Do you have a cut in mind, sir?" He asked and I looked over the displays again, finding one that struck me.

"That one," I said and looked a little more. "And I want it about that size." I continued, pointing out a different stone. He took out a form and started writing it down, nodding as he did. When he was done, he looked back up to me.

"We should be able to get that all finished for you by the end of the week, sir." He said and I nodded.

"Good. I'll come by Friday."

---

I was nervous. I'm a grown man. I'm in my forties. I've entertained millions of people over the years in more venues than I could count. My ass has literally been shown on television. And yet, as I stood in the parking lot of Sarah's building, I was edgy and tense.

I'd decided to swoop her up from her office and take her to dinner. It may not be the most creative way to ask the question that was ticking away in my brain, but once I'd gotten that circular piece in my hands, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to wait. I wanted Sarah and I wanted the world to know it as soon as humanly possible.

I was able to take a deeper breath when I saw her walk out the doors, the mere sight of her easing some of the jumpiness I was struggling with. She was looking in her purse, probably for her keys, and walking toward the lot. She was dressed in a sleek, black skirt and a flowy top. The riot of curls that were never quite tamed fell around her shoulders and the light shone on her head. For the rest of my life, this beautiful, kind woman was going to be mine. At least, she would if she said yes.

"Marshall," she said with a smile as she looked up. She slipped her hands around my waist when she got to me, leaning up to kiss me. Fuck. I was going to combust if I didn't ask her right fucking now and what kind of story is that?

"Sarah," I said, a little stiffly. I just needed to keep it together for a little longer. Even asking her in a park or some shit on the way to the restaurant was better than right now, surrounded by exhaust and grey cement.

"Are you okay?" She asked, her eyes clouding with confusion. Shit. I nodded, gesturing to the car behind me.

"Yeah. Let's go get you something to eat." I responded. She looked puzzled, but she got in the car without other questions.

The drive was excruciating. I had to grit my teeth to keep my fucking mouth from saying anything, while Sarah kept looking at me out of the side of her eye. The atmosphere felt almost brittle, like something could break if words were spoken. It did nothing for my nerves.

Finally, I pulled into the lot and parked the car. This was Sarah's favorite place. It was a tiny hole in the wall Epicurean restaurant that had her favorite dishes. The owners had been over the moon with my request to close it off to the public, especially when I'd asked if they could coordinate with the florist to decorate it in twinkling lights and French tulips.

I walked Sarah inside, keeping my hand on the small of her back while the other played with the small box in my pocket. When we stepped over the threshold, Sarah gasped. As I looked around, even I was impressed.

They'd hit the tone perfectly. The tulips lined the walls and flowed from vases all over the room. The lights twinkled and made the glasses on the table sparkle and shine. Overhead, the owners played some slow songs in another language, thankfully saving me from having to roll my eyes at what was no doubt the sappiest shit on the planet.

Sarah turned to me, her hand covering her mouth as her dark eyes looked at me as if I could save the world. I slid my hands around her waist, bending my head to put my forehead on hers. I could feel her body shaking slightly. She knew what was coming.

"I'm supposed to wait until after you eat." I said softly, putting my hand back in my pocket to grab the box. "But it was fucking torture to not say something in the car." I continued as I lifted the box in between us.

Sarah's eyes filled with tears, but I could tell they were the happy kind. Her lips quivered slightly as she smiled, her eyes moving from the box back up to mine.

"I'm supposed to wait to say yes until after you ask." She said, shaking her head. "But I'm not going to. Yes," she whispered, her voice breaking a little with the emotion I saw flooding her.

I grinned, stepping back slightly to open the box and slip it onto her shaking hand. I stared at it for a moment, something so incredible right about the sight striking me to my core.

"I love you," I said as I looked up into her eyes. "Will you love me forever?" I asked.

"I will."

A/N: So, Sarah and Marshall have their happy beginning. I have two requests that are pending right now. I hope/plan to get started on the first of them tomorrow, but the scenes for it have already been cascading through my brain, so it might be earlier. Until then, happy reading!