Can Divit, June 2016: "Ex-MissFit"

In his eagerness to get me home, dad had reserved me on a flight from Tallinn to Istanbul. Whoa, I'm in first class.... it means I should brace myself to be grounded and in a world of trouble. That's dad's brand of tough love... nailing me with a velvet hammer, figuratively of course! I have a whole lot of explaining to do as to why I didn't contact him after being boat wrecked and lost. Fair enough, he would've been worried sick... I was wrong in doing that to him.

I take my aisle seat and stretch comfortably.... and order a scotch on the rocks. Fellow passengers are starting to take their seats and I see a pair of stunning legs standing next to me. Still ogling her legs, I only hear her ask to be excused so she can take the seat by the window. My gentlemanly instincts kick in and I stand up, even though I didn't have to, and let her pass. She's as tall as me, wearing killer heels, her dirty blonde hair in a pony tail, impeccably dressed almost like a model, Caucasian or Turk I can't tell!

 She's as tall as me, wearing killer heels, her dirty blonde hair in a pony tail, impeccably dressed almost like a model, Caucasian or Turk I can't tell!

When she settles, now I look at her face and ask her if she'd like to get a drink. Duh!!  She smiles and says she can get her own. Suddenly something seems very familiar about her face and smile.... like I've seen her before....and it's like she's having the same thoughts as me.

"Have we met before?" I ask her... and yet again it sounds like a pickup line. So I clarify "No, not that... you look very familiar!   I'm Can Divit from Istanbul... and you are?"     She shouts excitedly   "CAN.... really????   I'm Polen... Ashcroft, we used to be neighbors in Istanbul when we were young.... do you remember?" Awww shucks, Polen, I do remember her... she was about my age, half-British, used to be tall, lanky and a bookworm, she coached me in Math.  I acknowledge that I do remember her and she reaches out to kiss me on both cheeks. 

..

Over the next 3 hours, we both get reacquainted with each other. A few years ago her dad had passed away and her mom had moved back to Istanbul from London; her mom lives in the old neighborhood where our parents, Emre & I used to live as a family. She's a Physicist, a nerd and still a bookworm, and shuttles between London and Istanbul. I tell her about my adult life, travels, photography, and what not.

We both talk about growing out of our awkward teenager phases and I compliment her on.... umm, growing into things! She reciprocates the compliment and touches my arm with a sense of familiarity.

...

I don't know how..... but we wander into the subject of family and relationships. Our parents were friends before mine broke up.... and apparently that had an impact on her family as well. Our moms were friends and confidants and they missed each other's company. It appears that the women reconnected a few years later in Europe, I obviously had no idea! Unasked, she tells me that she saw my mom not two weeks ago.... and that she is well and always talking about me!  "Stop." I tell her firmly....  and she realizes she's crossed a line!  We are silent for a few minutes and pretend to enjoy our drinks.
..